Can I apply for a work visa from a US university? and few questions..

rkg1

Hi,

I have graduated with an MS from an US university and am in OPT status (I would be registering for an another F1 status soon as my H1 application didn't get picked in the lottery). 

Can I apply for a Work-visa (H1) from a US university or a research Institute in the US. 

And is this visa too an H1B visa?

How long does it usually take to start working under this work status (or) for this H1 to get approved once an US university/research-institute applies the visa on my behalf (do they apply with the USCIS)?? 

Also, are people working under this university work visa (H1) are eligible to apply for an H1-transfer to an another US company later in the future if they decide to move to an another company?

Please also let me know if there are any other restrictions with these work (H1) visas obtained from the US universities/research-institutes.

Please let me know.  

Thanks Much for your time.

Hi,

I have graduated with an MS from an US university and am in OPT status (I would be registering for an another F1 status soon as my H1 application didn't get picked in the lottery). 

Can I apply for a Work-visa (H1) from a US university or a research Institute in the US. 

And is this visa too an H1B visa?

How long does it usually take to start working under this work status (or) for this H1 to get approved once an US university/research-institute applies the visa on my behalf (do they apply with the USCIS)?? 

Also, are people working under this university work visa (H1) are eligible to apply for an H1-transfer to an another US company later in the future if they decide to move to an another company?

Please also let me know if there are any other restrictions with these work (H1) visas obtained from the US universities/research-institutes.

Please let me know.  

Thanks Much for your time.

It is not a visa but a H1B petition. 3 to 4 months for approval by regular processing and 15 calendar days by premium processing. As this is a cap exempt H1B petition allotted to educational institutions you cannot move to a for-profit company without going through quota.

Thanks Joef and Jairichi.

So, even though I work on an US university/research-institute H1B for say couple of years, and later plan to move to an IT-company/for-profit-company then I would have to go through the lottery and the H1B (the quota of 65k + 20k(for MS students)) approval process of the April. Is that right???

I think that's what you meant, but just trying reconfirm. Thanks again.

Thanks Joef and Jairichi.

So, even though I work on an US university/research-institute H1B for say couple of years, and later plan to move to an IT-company/for-profit-company then I would have to go through the lottery and the H1B (the quota of 65k + 20k(for MS students)) approval process of the April. Is that right???

I think that's what you meant, but just trying reconfirm. Thanks again.

Yes, that is correct. And, the max allowed stay is still 6 years

Thanks Jaircihi again for the reconfirm.

This has been a bummer. we thought this may work out and not risk in the next year going through the lottery again. But it seems that's the only route. Lets see what happens then.

Unfortunately this is the immigration law and there is no way to beat it.

Thanks Jaircihi again for the reconfirm.

This has been a bummer. we thought this may work out and not risk in the next year going through the lottery again. But it seems that's the only route. Lets see what happens then.

There is no shortcut around the quota if you want to work in industry.

Archived