H1B Cap exemption

sannad

Hello

I used to work in US in the past on a stamped H1B visa (that was valid till July 2014). However after wedding in 2013 I went back to India, resigned my previous job and filed for H4 so I can travel back to US on H4. During the visa stamping process for H4 in India, USCIS printed "cancelled without prejudice" on my H1B visa. Currently I am in US on stamped H4. Today, I received a potential job offer from a US company and they may provide me with H1B sponsorship before I begin to legally work.

My questions are:

1. This year H1B cap seems to be already filled out. However, since I had an H1B visa in the past, am I cap exempt even if my visa was cancelled last year?

2. I was in a different labor cateogry (software developer). Now they may need to file new H1B petition as a project manager. So does this change in labor category (or role) nullify the CAP exemption if at all I was eligible for it?

Please advise.

Thank you.

Hello

I used to work in US in the past on a stamped H1B visa (that was valid till July 2014). However after wedding in 2013 I went back to India, resigned my previous job and filed for H4 so I can travel back to US on H4. During the visa stamping process for H4 in India, USCIS printed "cancelled without prejudice" on my H1B visa. Currently I am in US on stamped H4. Today, I received a potential job offer from a US company and they may provide me with H1B sponsorship before I begin to legally work.

My questions are:

1. This year H1B cap seems to be already filled out. However, since I had an H1B visa in the past, am I cap exempt even if my visa was cancelled last year?

2. I was in a different labor cateogry (software developer). Now they may need to file new H1B petition as a project manager. So does this change in labor category (or role) nullify the CAP exemption if at all I was eligible for it?

Please advise.

Thank you.

1. If you have not utilized full 6 years on H1B status then you are cap exempt.

2. No. Your education has to be relevant to H1B profession.

Hello

My questions are:

Please advise.

Thank you.

They MUST file and receive approval before you  begin working. It is NOT optional. Do not begin any job until you have an H1B I-94 in hand.

Archived