H4 name change from maiden to married

cobra1232

Hello All,

I have a query regarding name change. My wife is planning to change her maiden name to married one.

1. We are planning to apply for new passport in India with new name.

1. Does she need to go for stamping again? Her current visa is valid till April 2016. Or can she use both passports and marriage certificate at immigration?

2. I ask because I read that name on visa should match the passport name for immigration? Will we get the new I-94 with married name if we don't get new visa stamp?

3. Also for her to change name on SSN requires valid I-94 with her married name without which SSN office won't make the necessary change. And also the drivers license change would become impossible without that.

If someone knows please give your feedback. We have ample amount of time on upcoming trip to do this change for once.

Thanks in advance

Hello All,

I have a query regarding name change. My wife is planning to change her maiden name to married one.

1. We are planning to apply for new passport in India with new name.

1. Does she need to go for stamping again? Her current visa is valid till April 2016. Or can she use both passports and marriage certificate at immigration?

2. I ask because I read that name on visa should match the passport name for immigration? Will we get the new I-94 with married name if we don't get new visa stamp?

3. Also for her to change name on SSN requires valid I-94 with her married name without which SSN office won't make the necessary change. And also the drivers license change would become impossible without that.

If someone knows please give your feedback. We have ample amount of time on upcoming trip to do this change for once.

Thanks in advance

1. Better to apply for a new visa with new passport.

3. On H4 she will not get SSN.

Thanks Jairichi for your input

1. I know it would be better, hassle free to apply for new visa stamp. But folks have used both old/new passport along with marriage certificate during immigration. So just wanted to get a feel for it.

3. I know H4 doesn't get new SSN. She already has SSN from her previous H1, so we will just need to update the name on her already existing SSN.

Thanks Jairichi for your input

1. I know it would be better, hassle free to apply for new visa stamp. But folks have used both old/new passport along with marriage certificate during immigration. So just wanted to get a feel for it.

3. I know H4 doesn't get new SSN. She already has SSN from her previous H1, so we will just need to update the name on her already existing SSN.

Good that you know the answers before posting in this forum. Wait for others opinion who had faced similar situation.

Archived