Advice on options after potential layoff

uk27

Hey everyone!

My company is going through some tough financial times and I am worried about a layoff. I have been looking for another job, but it is slow on that end. My question is with regards to my status/options if the layoff happened before I found another job.

My current status:

- EB3 filed in 2011, along with approved I-140

- One year remaining on current H1b

- Attorney says I-485 is not filed until the priority date is current, which makes no sense to me based on reading in the forums. Very confused about this one! In any case, my company is no longer filing anything to save money.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hey everyone!

My company is going through some tough financial times and I am worried about a layoff. I have been looking for another job, but it is slow on that end. My question is with regards to my status/options if the layoff happened before I found another job.

My current status:

- EB3 filed in 2011, along with approved I-140

- One year remaining on current H1b

- Attorney says I-485 is not filed until the priority date is current, which makes no sense to me based on reading in the forums. Very confused about this one! In any case, my company is no longer filing anything to save money.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

If you cannot find a job after layoff then immediately move to B2 status or dependent status based on your spouse's status in US. Your new employer can file a cap exempt H1B petition anytime. After 6 years on H1B, if approved I-140 is not revoked you can get 3 year extensions.

- Attorney says I-485 is not filed until the priority date is current, which makes no sense to me based on reading in the forums.

It actually makes complete sense.

An I-485 can ONLY be filed when the PD is current. That's in the law.

I have no idea in what crappy forum you are reading something different...

Archived