Woman on H1, need to divorce husband on H4

fortextme

I am a woman, working on an H1 in the US. My husband and my seven year old son live with me, who are both on an H4. I have always had issues with my husband since our marriage. He lied to us and married me when he had no job, but claimed that he was working as an HR in a company. I am harassed physically , mentally and monetarily. All the money that I have earned has been spent to pay his debts off. He tries to assume control over everything , although he is incapable . He is a maniac. I have put with this person for nearly 10 years.

I have had enough of him. I want to lead a simple life with my son. I want to divorce my husband. I need advice on how to approach this. I don't know how much a divorce would cost me. 

Am also worried about my security when I break the news about the divorce to him. How do I deal with this. 

How is the whole divorce scenario going to play out. Since he is a dependant, will I have to pay for his lawyer as well ?

If I go to the cops about this, will he be jailed and deported ?

I am a woman, working on an H1 in the US. My husband and my seven year old son live with me, who are both on an H4. I have always had issues with my husband since our marriage. He lied to us and married me when he had no job, but claimed that he was working as an HR in a company. I am harassed physically , mentally and monetarily. All the money that I have earned has been spent to pay his debts off. He tries to assume control over everything , although he is incapable . He is a maniac. I have put with this person for nearly 10 years.

I have had enough of him. I want to lead a simple life with my son. I want to divorce my husband. I need advice on how to approach this. I don't know how much a divorce would cost me. 

Am also worried about my security when I break the news about the divorce to him. How do I deal with this. 

How is the whole divorce scenario going to play out. Since he is a dependant, will I have to pay for his lawyer as well ?

If I go to the cops about this, will he be jailed and deported ?

Talk to a good divorce attorney in your state. They will be able to address all your concerns.

Although, its purely your personal decision, but I do want to mention that being on H4 is no fun. Since you were with him for 10 years and have a son together, it kind of shows that you two have some good things between yourselves (besides all the bad stuff that made you consider this option). I would say give your marriage another chance. Go on a vacation and try to talk to him before you drop the divorce bomb on him.

I understand that you may have been through a lot since you decided to break the relationship, but do give this another deep thought and take a decision after thinking everything through.

One easy thing to try would be to send him for a vacation to another place for couple of weeks and see if you feel comfortable without him. If you do feel better without him, you may be right in cinsidering divorce.

Best of luck to your family. God bless.

Archived