How does getting an EAD work?

mj129

So I was initially on H1B. Now I'm marrying a USC and we want to do the green card through marriage.

How do you get a work permit (EAD)?

From my understanding, you send out I-765 (Work permit or EAD) then wait for 60-90 days total. But how does this work? Do you get scheduled for fingerprinting after 1 month then wait an additional 1-2 months for it to be verified? That makes it a total of 90 days.

From my understanding, you send out I-765 (Work permit or EAD) then wait for 60-90 days total. But how does this work? Do you get scheduled for fingerprinting after 1 month then wait an additional 1-2 months for it to be verified? That makes it a total of 90 days.

The days above are just the normal processing timelines. There are no hard and fast rules that you will be scheduled for fingerprinting in a month after you get your NOA1 and same applies to the period after the fingerprinting. It would depend on your local office and or which center your case would be processed. 

But since your on H1B I don't really think you need to apply for EAD unless it is about to expire soon. Mine was approved in 88 days since NOA1.

Best of luck.

@stan317

I need to get an EAD so I can quit my job and relocate with my husband. How long did you have to wait for EAD and NOA1 from date of filing?

Thanks for your reply.

The days above are just the normal processing timelines. There are no hard and fast rules that you will be scheduled for fingerprinting in a month after you get your NOA1 and same applies to the period after the fingerprinting. It would depend on your local office and or which center your case would be processed. 

But since your on H1B I don't really think you need to apply for EAD unless it is about to expire soon. Mine was approved in 88 days since NOA1.

Best of luck.

Archived