incorrect last name in father's passport

Hi

I am a US citizen now and trying to sponsor green card for my father but his last name was spelled wrong in his passport.

His last name was spelled in passport as "Podi" instead of "Poda" ( last letter is incorrect) and everything else is correct. All other documents such as birth certificate, affidavits etc. have the last name as Poda.

I am trying to understand if this will create issues in green card processing and that it would be a good idea to get this passport corrected first. He is in US now...he needs to go back to India and get this corrected, I believe.

or

we can go ahead and start the process with may be some kind of affidavit or something from him that the last name was incorrect?

I understand this is not an official confirmation. I am just asking for opinion based on past experience.

Thanks

MIB

Hi

I am a US citizen now and trying to sponsor green card for my father but his last name was spelled wrong in his passport.

His last name was spelled in passport as "Podi" instead of "Poda" ( last letter is incorrect) and everything else is correct. All other documents such as birth certificate, affidavits etc. have the last name as Poda.

I am trying to understand if this will create issues in green card processing and that it would be a good idea to get this passport corrected first. He is in US now...he needs to go back to India and get this corrected, I believe.

or

we can go ahead and start the process with may be some kind of affidavit or something from him that the last name was incorrect?

I understand this is not an official confirmation. I am just asking for opinion based on past experience.

Thanks

MIB

Yes, your father has to get this corrected by applying to concerned passport office with relevant documents to support it.

Archived