H1B to H4 - change of status

kanthimathy

I am currently in a H1B visa.  I am planning to quit the job and move in with my husband across the continent.  I will be filing the I-539 change-of-status application soon.  My question is whether I can quit my current job as soon as I receive a receipt from or do I have to wait until I get the approval notice ?

I am currently in a H1B visa.  I am planning to quit the job and move in with my husband across the continent.  I will be filing the I-539 change-of-status application soon.  My question is whether I can quit my current job as soon as I receive a receipt from or do I have to wait until I get the approval notice ?

Yes, you can quit the job after getting receipt notice. But, why do you want to file I-539 when you are moving out of US?

Flights from say NY to SF are commonly described as Transcontinental. What would have been appropriate is not for me to say since I did not post the initial post. Something that "spans, straddles or crosses a continent " either which way.

I understand and I am not implying you said it :)

Thank you very much for clarifying :)

And i'm not moving out of US , I meant from one coast of the USA to the other :)

I have one more question, what are all the supporting documents required for change of status from H1 to H4 ? Did I miss out anything here ?

1. I-539 form
  2. Copy of my husband's
  1. passport
  2. I-129
  3. I-797 - approval notice
  4. Recent pay stubs
  5. employment verification letter
  1. Copy of my
    1. passport
    2. I-129
    3. I-797 - Approval notice
    4. Recent pay stubs