H1B stamping in Jamaica March 3rd

kmr03

I had my stamping successfully completed in Jamaica yesterday at 10 AM. Here is my experience for stay & visa stamping.

Stay-

We stayed at the Liguanea Club in Kingston, this is one of the better (&safe) places to stay. I observed that Jamaicans are very friendly. A taxi driver named Peter took care of our travel to the Embassy.

Stamping Experience :

We arrived one hour prior to our appointment . At the gate entrance you have to take out I-797,photograph ( better take a photo without glasses, they asked me to get one without glasses), DS-160(get a good print of the DS , one of the person had a problem with  the bar code scanning a it was not clear ) and appointment confirmation ,of course passport.

They verify your appointment with their list of names.Then they will staple your photo and I-797 to your passport. Now they allow you for security check .  Absolutely no electronics allowed ( not even pen drives) ,leave them at hotel.  

Then we entered the main building where the assistant took my passport and gave us a token number for finger prints counter (they start like B-#) .  We then went to the counter as per the token number and gave our finger prints. They will direct to another counter and take  another round of finger prints ( dont ask why :)).  They gave us a orange token to write our lastname,firstname and hotel name & room no# along with personal phone no#.   We were then made to wait outside in another queue. 

Once my turn arrived , I went inside to attended the interview.

Here are the questions asked :

ME: Good Morning Sir 

VO : GM and how are you   ( asked the passport with the attachments)

ME: I said I am fine and gave the pp .

VO: Whats your position title :

ME: XXX 

VO: Did you do your masters in the US ?

ME: YES

VO: Whats your major ?

ME: XXX ( It is different from my work position)

VO: How is it related ?

ME: I did relevant courses in school.

VO: He smiled and asked me to collect my passport on thursday. 

He gave a red token with a no#  to show while collecting. They entire interview lasted less than a minute. But thats my case, some of the people here had interviews that lasted 10 mins.

Get all documents , be confident, put a smile and keep it simple.  We have seen around 30 indians for that day, as far as I know all of them got the visa. 

I thank Murthy forum for all the help. 

Hi,

Can you please let me know the process in detail.

1) In few of the articles i read that if we are going to JAMAICA then at POE they will ask for the return ticket to USA.

2) Where did you stayed in JAMAICA and approximate days it will take to get the passport back.

3) I don't have valid USA visa now, Is the immigration officer in JAMAICA is checking visa validity.

Thanks in Advance

Hi,

Can you please let me know the process in detail.

1) In few of the articles i read that if we are going to JAMAICA then at POE they will ask for the return ticket to USA.

2) Where did you stayed in JAMAICA and approximate days it will take to get the passport back.

3) I don't have valid USA visa now, Is the immigration officer in JAMAICA is checking visa validity.

Thanks in Advance

1.) POE at Jamaica - they have asked for return ticket . I flew on March1st with return for March 7th,  at POE they asked me to show passport, I-797, hotel reservation, return flight date and the filled in  Jamaica customs/departure form.  Return ticket is a must to show them. I have been stamped on the departure form for stay in Jamaica untill April 1st. Some of us have been stamped until March 15th.  

While filling the departure form  select the purpose of the trip as Business , tell the officer  that you have an appointment at the american consulate. 

2.) stayed at the Liguanea Club , it is a 15 minute drive  to reach the consulate from there. The taxis accept US$ ( 1 USD=100 JMD) ,  we  paid 10$ for ride to consulate for two persons. 

The ride from airport to hotel for two costed $30. 

3.) Valid US visa is not required to enter Jamaica, the officer checked my passport with expired US F-1 visa and asked about it, but once I showed the I-797 he said it is fine. 

I had my interview on monday, the officer asked me to collect passport after 2PM Thursday.    Wednesday is a public holiday in Jamaica , so no appointments on that day.

Some of the indians with inteview on monday, got the passport on tuesday itself ( looks like the officer asked them when they are flying back, if you are flying back soon they will give the passport in a day or two). 

Archived