Successful visa stamping @ Vancouver - EVC model

sree14

First of all many thanks to this forum! Here is my detailed interview experience

1. My appointment was at 9 30 AM. Do not go to the consulate too early as they will not allow you inside. I went there by 8 30 AM and was asked to come back at 9 10. There is also a Starbucks few yards away from the consulate and you can wait there.

2. Security guard checked DS 160 confirmation and passport and allowed me inside. They will also check your folder contents and you can get a locker for small personal items. Security check was completed on second floor (similar to airport security check). You will be allowed to carry cash and cards inside along with your documents.

3. After security check, you will be allowed inside the office on the same floor where your passport, ds160 confirmation and I797 will be taken. You will be given a token in return with a number on it. When your number is called, they will take your finger prints and will be asked to proceed to 20th floor. If your photo is not clear, they will ask you to take a new picture and submit it before letting you for finger printing. There is an automated photo system on the same floor in one corner and you can get new photos taken there.

4. Actual interview took place on 20th floor. It is a very small space and we can hear the ongoing interviews. There was almost no waiting time (around2-3 minutes) before I was called. I was interviewed at counter 3 and below are the questions:

Did you go to school in US?

Where do you work?

Do you have a client?

Can I see the client letter and LCA?

How long with client?

How long with employer?

Any issues with employer? (Asked the same question again in the end)

So what do you do for xxxx (client)? (Was typing something in the system while I was answering this)

He asked me to wait for two minutes (VO was looking at something in the system)

Is your employer a big company?

I see in my system that there were issues with your employer ( to this, I explained very confidently that I never had any issues with them in any matter and that they are very good for which the VO din't respond or acknowledge my answer. At this point I was almost certain that the VO was not convinced).

But after few seconds, the golden words came out " I am approving your visa" and he gave me the red booklet for labor rights and explained about it. He also gave a white paper with instructions to track my passport and said that I would get it in 3-5 days.

The whole process took 1-1.5 hrs.

Timeline of events

Day 1: interview. I checked the status online immediately after the interview and it said "administrative processing". (Do not panic as this is the default status for everyone after the interview)

Day 2: In the morning, it changed to issued. Same day midnight, I got the email from loomis at 1am with the waybill number but it said "not ready for pick up".

Day 3: first thing in the morning, rushed to Loomis, collected my passport and flew back to US.

Port of entry questions:

Why did you come to Canada?

Did you go to school in US?

Then he said that for some reason my status was being shown as student even though I was on h1. He took me inside their office and made me sit there for a second interview. Another officer typed something in the system and asked the same questions again and also for how long I was in Canada, what my status was in Canada.

Finally he stamped 'admitted ' on my pp.

Hope this info helps! Wishing good luck to all those who are yet to attend their interviews!!

Hi Sree,

Thanks for the detailed update.

I have H1 stamping date on April 3 at Vancouver, EVC model.

You saw, ""not ready for pick up", and still you got Passport next day at Loomis?

Also how did you arrange for accommodation?

Thanks,

Yes, I went to Loomis even though the status was "not ready for pick up". If you have the waybill number, you are good to go. Do not wait for that email also. Just, keep checking Loomis website by entering your reference number (found on your appointment confirmation) to track your passport. 

I stayed at days inn (downtown) as it is 2 minutes walk from the consulate. Just FYI - WIFI connectivity was very good at Days inn especially if you need to work remotely.

Hi Sree,

Thanks for the detailed update.

I have H1 stamping date on April 3 at Vancouver, EVC model.

You saw, ""not ready for pick up", and still you got Passport next day at Loomis?

Also how did you arrange for accommodation?

Thanks,

Hello Keti2112,

I see that you've your interview on April 3rd in Vancouver. Have you made any arrangements for your accommodation? My interview is on the same day and I am looking for rooms to share with someone during that time. Let me know if you've room vacancy to share with me. .

Thanks,

Bharath

Archived