Visa Stamping and passport expiry dates

kyat

Respected,

I am planning to get my visa stamped and booked a date for the month of April, 2014. But when I was reading through the email confirmation I saw that the passport should be valid for at least 6 months beyond the applicant's intended period of stay in the United States. My H1B is valid through Oct 2016. Should my passport be valid through March 2017? My passport is only valid till January 2015. If any of members have any experience or comments, please do share. I would really appreciate that. Thank you guys in advance.

Respected,

I am planning to get my visa stamped and booked a date for the month of April, 2014. But when I was reading through the email confirmation I saw that the passport should be valid for at least 6 months beyond the applicant's intended period of stay in the United States. My H1B is valid through Oct 2016. Should my passport be valid through March 2017? My passport is only valid till January 2015. If any of members have any experience or comments, please do share. I would really appreciate that. Thank you guys in advance.

You are fine. I94 will be issued based on passport validity.

Respected,

You are fine, Since your passport is valid till 2015 you are good to go for interview in april and come to USA.

Thanks,

Areddy.

Kyat,

your passport should be valid for atleast 6 months at the time of stamping, since your petition is valid through Oct 2016, you will get your passport stamped till Oct 2016. Once you renew your passport, you need to carry your old passport(with Valid Visa page) along with the new passport to re-enter US and you are good on this. 

But, you should have renewed your passport in Jan 2014, before booking your Visa appointment, You can renew passport with in 1 year of its expiration date and if you are in US, the renewal takes a max of 2-3 weeks depending on the Indian Consulate where you are applying. Since now you have already applied for your Visa slot and that is tied up with your Passport number, not sure if you could update the Passport Number in your Visa. If you want to avoid hassles at this time, just stick with your old passport and renew it once you are done with the Visa stamping. Good luck on your Visa.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I have approved H-4 till Sept 2018

passport expiry July 2016 ( 7 months from arrival date after )

going to India for stamping (drop box eligible )  on Nov 10th 2015

coming back to USA on Dec 18th 2015

need help for.

1. will there be any issue in stamping or will it affect of stamping end date.

2. If I get it stamped and @ port of entry I-94 given till July 2016 then what will be the process for extension of I-94 after getting new passport

3. do i need to step out of country after getting new passport

appreciate your help.

Hi,

I have approved H-4 till Sept 2018

passport expiry July 2016 ( 7 months from arrival date after )

going to India for stamping (drop box eligible )  on Nov 10th 2015

coming back to USA on Dec 18th 2015

need help for.

1. will there be any issue in stamping or will it affect of stamping end date.

2. If I get it stamped and @ port of entry I-94 given till July 2016 then what will be the process for extension of I-94 after getting new passport

3. do i need to step out of country after getting new passport

appreciate your help.

1. No.

2. File I539 or exit and enter US with a valid H4 visa, new passport and a copy of your spouse I797.

3. Refer 2.

Archived