Delay in getting Social Security Number

Hi,

I entered USA on jab 21st and applied SSN on jan 22nd , but its been 1 month and still I didnt get my SSN.

My last name is too big and so wile applying they cut short my last four alphabets from my last name.

But in passport and H1b visa its full name XXX YYYYY ZZZZZZZ

But in SSN application its given as XXXX YYYYY ZZZZ

And also just few days before I mad one correction in I94 by calling to DHS.

They have missed my last character in my first name and some how I could able to change in I94 now.

Do I need to wait or speak to SSN or USCIS in straight on this.

How much time it would take.

Kindly Advice.

Hi,

I entered USA on jab 21st and applied SSN on jan 22nd , but its been 1 month and still I didnt get my SSN.

My last name is too big and so wile applying they cut short my last four alphabets from my last name.

But in passport and H1b visa its full name XXX YYYYY ZZZZZZZ

But in SSN application its given as XXXX YYYYY ZZZZ

And also just few days before I mad one correction in I94 by calling to DHS.

They have missed my last character in my first name and some how I could able to change in I94 now.

Do I need to wait or speak to SSN or USCIS in straight on this.

How much time it would take.

Kindly Advice.

Ideally you should get your SSN within 4 weeks. Visit you local SSN office and get an update.

For a social security number (SSN) ...

If you apply for a SSN after being in the U.S. for a period of time (at least several weeks), then you should receive your social security card with your SSN in a couple weeks (10 - 14 days) after applying.

If you apply for a SSN shortly after you arrive in the U.S. for the first time (as would seem to be your case), then it will take 6 to 8 weeks for you to receive social security card with your SSN as it takes a few weeks for your lawful entry into the U.S. to get into the government databases and the social security administration has to make a specific request to the DHS to validate your lawful entry.

Archived