Received SSN on H1 then moved to H4 Question

Hello,

Thanks for looking into my query.

Before marriage when my wife worked on H1 visa she has taken SSN #. After marriage she moved to H4.

Due to some personal reasons we changed her last name to same as me.

Today we went to SSN office to change her last name same as mine but SSN officer was saying that she can't change her last name until again she moved to H1 as she has taken the SSN # while she was working & and continued to say that she can't use that SSN # anymore & when she changed her status to H1 come and apply for new SSN #.

I'm shocked & confused and have few questions.

1. Is that information correct provided by SSN officer (As sometimes we may get incorrect information) ?

2. I was applying my tax returns using my wife's SSN #  from past 3 years, is that okay? or should we apply for ITIN # to apply for tax returns as SSN officer told us that she can't use that SSN anymore?

3. Can a person apply for SSN # each time he/she changes the status? in that that case what's the meaning of

SSN #?

4. When we went to DMV to extend my wife's driving license also they told us that SSN should be able to correct the last name so that we can change on her DL!

Can someone please help me with my questions?

Thanks.

As a Social Security Number (SSN) once issued is good for the life of the person, the response by the employee at the Social Security office is questionable.  (However, it is not necessarily surprising that the person at the counter does not fully understand the applicable regulations, rules, processes, etc.)  I would call the Social Security Administration directly (using the number listed on their web site) for guidance.  I can see how the name mismatch could cause problems with things like renewing a driver license.

• 2 months later...

rk2000 -  Could you please update on your situation and if you were able to get the name changed. My wife is in the exact same situation and we were told the exact same thing by the SSN office.

Let us know. Appreciate the help in advance.

Hello,

Thanks for looking into my query.

Before marriage when my wife worked on H1 visa she has taken SSN #. After marriage she moved to H4.

Due to some personal reasons we changed her last name to same as me.

Today we went to SSN office to change her last name same as mine but SSN officer was saying that she can't change her last name until again she moved to H1 as she has taken the SSN # while she was working & and continued to say that she can't use that SSN # anymore & when she changed her status to H1 come and apply for new SSN #.

I'm shocked & confused and have few questions.

1. Is that information correct provided by SSN officer (As sometimes we may get incorrect information) ?

2. I was applying my tax returns using my wife's SSN #  from past 3 years, is that okay? or should we apply for ITIN # to apply for tax returns as SSN officer told us that she can't use that SSN anymore?

3. Can a person apply for SSN # each time he/she changes the status? in that that case what's the meaning of

SSN #?

4. When we went to DMV to extend my wife's driving license also they told us that SSN should be able to correct the last name so that we can change on her DL!

Can someone please help me with my questions?

Thanks.

Archived