Cap to Non-Cap to Cap again

spquest

Hi,

I got my H-1B visa at a company, valid from Oct 1, 2012 to Sept 2015. Shortly after, I quit my job to work at a university, which applied for a transfer of my H-1B in March 2013. My new I797 has an expiration date of Feb 2016. Does this mean that my status transferred from a capped H1B to a non-capped, academic H1B? If I want to work at a company again, am I subject to a new cap on H-1B?

Is there any difference in the I-797 for a company vs academic institution? In particular, does the academic H1B say "academic" on it?

Thank you!

Hi,

I got my H-1B visa at a company, valid from Oct 1, 2012 to Sept 2015. Shortly after, I quit my job to work at a university, which applied for a transfer of my H-1B in March 2013. My new I797 has an expiration date of Feb 2016. Does this mean that my status transferred from a capped H1B to a non-capped, academic H1B? If I want to work at a company again, am I subject to a new cap on H-1B?

Is there any difference in the I-797 for a company vs academic institution? In particular, does the academic H1B say "academic" on it?

Thank you!

As you are counted against cap any subsequent petition filed by employers would be cap exempt till you reach the max of 6 years allowed on H1B.

Archived