Successful stamping in Toronto..same day passport too...

Globetrot

I had checked this forum after I had booked my appointment. I had my H1B(first time..I was on L1B before for 3 years in US) appointment today in Toronto at 12:30pm as I was in Canada on business and decided to go for my Visa stamping. I went to the consulate in TORONTO 15 minutes before my interview as I didnt want to wait outside in bone chill weather. 

The initial procedure was usual. Security check, then you wait in line to see an attendant. While waiting, a guy would ask for your DS-160 confirmation page and passport and paste a sticker to the back of your passport(Sticker has your appt. information such as name, passport number, where you have selected to pickup etc.). Here your pick-up location will be asked. Mine was Edmonton and I changed it to Brampton last night. It was still showing Edmonton. I told him I changed it yesterday and he struck it and wrote Brampton.

Attendant will do the Initial check to reconfirm where you are picking and put DS-160 confirmation page and passport  in a BLUE folder and you enter the room and queue up for next checks.(I was stunned to see such a small room. It was almost like the room at 'once upon a time VFS office' for Indian consulate in NYC).

This time around, check is for I797, photo etc. Officer asked me for copy of 797 and asked whether it was my first US visa. I only had original of I797, so she took that. Checked the PIMS and wrote PIMS ok on DS-160 conf. Asked about my photo as to when it was taken. I said..3 months and it was fine. She told not to add or remove and documents from the blue folder and stapled token to the confirmation page.

*************VERY IMPORTANT THING: At this counter They first check your DS160 confirmation and ask when was the photo taken. If it is old, they ask you to get a new set of Photo. Unfortunately the photo machine was down and people had to run out to get photos. When I was there for an hour, I saw atleast 15-20 sent to get new photo as it wasn't recent. To be on safer side and to avoid running out in cold weather, please carry recent set of photos even though it isn't required******************

After this you go to end of room and give your finger prints where she will take your blue folder and give you second half of your token. By this time it was already half an hour since the initial security procedure and the WAITING started.

There were 2 officers. An american and a Chinese.  Seats and counters are not too far. So if you are seated first in any row, you hear the interview. I observed many people at counter where visa was approved and rejected or asked to send documents. Successful, Blue, yellow, pink forms etc. I saw all token numbers before, around and after mine being called. Finally after 35 mins or so, my token number came up.

I was called by American.

VO: Hello how are you?

Me: Fine. Thank you!

VO:You are in Canada on Business, tourist or study?

Me: Business. I am in Canada on Business this week and flying out to XXX location on Monday.

VO: This is your first H1b

Me: Yes

VO: Before that you were on L1?

VO: I see that you are working for XXX company

VO: For how long

Me X years

VO What do you do?

Me: Blah blah blah for 10 seconds (VO is typing)

VO: What is your Salary?

Me XXXX Dollars

VO: What is your education?

Me: Blah Blah

VO: What were you doing in XXXX city in Canada before?
Me: Explained my history in Canada. 

VO: Where do you live in US?

Me: XXX city

VO: Do you have family ?

Me: Answered..

By this time it is not even 2 minute 

VO: Your visa is approved and hands a pamphlet about rights etc..

Me: By the time I took template and glanced

VO: You are picking passport in Edmonton or Brampton? Would like to pick it in person?

Me: All smiles :). Definitely. When Can I pick it?

VO: Monday between 3-4? Oh you already have your business travel planned. How were you initially planning to pick it in Edmonton or Brampton?

Me: I have my return on Feb X date and flying out of Toronto and have few hours between my connection. Planning to step out, take a cab and pick and fly back. Or Can I get it delivered to my business address next week?

VO: Smiles and says that's too risky and says, give me a second. Scans my DS160 confirmation code and checks my 797 number and leaves his desk.

Me: At window, reading the pamphlet

VO: Comes back with a slip in hand, wrote my name, country and signed. While writing says you can pick it today between 3-4.

Me: Thank you so much.

I stepped out by 1:40 pm. Had lunch went back at 3pm and picked it. There were others to pick around 10 people and had different sticker in hand. Looking at my slip, it was same slip given to others earlier in the day, if their document was missing or photo was incorrect. At the pick-up counter he saw it and said, what is this? I said..I am here for passport and he looked through and handed my passport.

Whole process took 3 hours which was AMAZING!!!! During the entire interview, I was very truthful, especially about my business trips etc. and my schedule, which I guess helped me to get my passport on same day.

Wish everyone good luck and thanks to others who shared their experience. I really hope everyone gets passport on same day and don't need to linger around in cold weather.

I had checked this forum after I had booked my appointment. I had my H1B(first time..I was on L1B before for 3 years in US) appointment today in Toronto at 12:30pm as I was in Canada on business and decided to go for my Visa stamping. I went to the consulate in TORONTO 15 minutes before my interview as I didnt want to wait outside in bone chill weather. 

The initial procedure was usual. Security check, then you wait in line to see an attendant. While waiting, a guy would ask for your DS-160 confirmation page and passport and paste a sticker to the back of your passport(Sticker has your appt. information such as name, passport number, where you have selected to pickup etc.). Here your pick-up location will be asked. Mine was Edmonton and I changed it to Brampton last night. It was still showing Edmonton. I told him I changed it yesterday and he struck it and wrote Brampton.

Attendant will do the Initial check to reconfirm where you are picking and put DS-160 confirmation page and passport  in a BLUE folder and you enter the room and queue up for next checks.(I was stunned to see such a small room. It was almost like the room at 'once upon a time VFS office' for Indian consulate in NYC).

This time around, check is for I797, photo etc. Officer asked me for copy of 797 and asked whether it was my first US visa. I only had original of I797, so she took that. Checked the PIMS and wrote PIMS ok on DS-160 conf. Asked about my photo as to when it was taken. I said..3 months and it was fine. She told not to add or remove and documents from the blue folder and stapled token to the confirmation page.

*************VERY IMPORTANT THING: At this counter They first check your DS160 confirmation and ask when was the photo taken. If it is old, they ask you to get a new set of Photo. Unfortunately the photo machine was down and people had to run out to get photos. When I was there for an hour, I saw atleast 15-20 sent to get new photo as it wasn't recent. To be on safer side and to avoid running out in cold weather, please carry recent set of photos even though it isn't required******************

After this you go to end of room and give your finger prints where she will take your blue folder and give you second half of your token. By this time it was already half an hour since the initial security procedure and the WAITING started.

There were 2 officers. An american and a Chinese.  Seats and counters are not too far. So if you are seated first in any row, you hear the interview. I observed many people at counter where visa was approved and rejected or asked to send documents. Successful, Blue, yellow, pink forms etc. I saw all token numbers before, around and after mine being called. Finally after 35 mins or so, my token number came up.

I was called by American.

VO: Hello how are you?

Me: Fine. Thank you!

VO:You are in Canada on Business, tourist or study?

Me: Business. I am in Canada on Business this week and flying out to XXX location on Monday.

VO: This is your first H1b

VO: Before that you were on L1?

VO: I see that you are working for XXX company

VO: For how long

Me X years

VO What do you do?

Me: Blah blah blah for 10 seconds (VO is typing)

VO: What is your Salary?

Me XXXX Dollars

VO: What is your education?

Me: Blah Blah

VO: What were you doing in XXXX city in Canada before?
Me: Explained my history in Canada. 

VO: Where do you live in US?

Me: XXX city

VO: Do you have family ?

Me: Answered..

By this time it is not even 2 minute 

VO: Your visa is approved and hands a pamphlet about rights etc..

Me: By the time I took template and glanced

VO: You are picking passport in Edmonton or Brampton? Would like to pick it in person?

Me: All smiles :). Definitely. When Can I pick it?

VO: Monday between 3-4? Oh you already have your business travel planned. How were you initially planning to pick it in Edmonton or Brampton?

Me: I have my return on Feb X date and flying out of Toronto and have few hours between my connection. Planning to step out, take a cab and pick and fly back. Or Can I get it delivered to my business address next week?

VO: Smiles and says that's too risky and says, give me a second. Scans my DS160 confirmation code and checks my 797 number and leaves his desk.

Me: At window, reading the pamphlet

VO: Comes back with a slip in hand, wrote my name, country and signed. While writing says you can pick it today between 3-4.

Me: Thank you so much.

I stepped out by 1:40 pm. Had lunch went back at 3pm and picked it. There were others to pick around 10 people and had different sticker in hand. Looking at my slip, it was same slip given to others earlier in the day, if their document was missing or photo was incorrect. At the pick-up counter he saw it and said, what is this? I said..I am here for passport and he looked through and handed my passport.

Whole process took 3 hours which was AMAZING!!!! During the entire interview, I was very truthful, especially about my business trips etc. and my schedule, which I guess helped me to get my passport on same day.

Wish everyone good luck and thanks to others who shared their experience. I really hope everyone gets passport on same day and don't need to linger around in cold weather.

Congrats and thx for sharing experience.

Archived