Re-entry to US after i94 extension during previous visit

rohitnakra

Hello,

My parents visited me in US last year in 2013. They stayed for 6 months and I applied for their extension for 90 days which was approved - they stayed 55 out of the 90 day extension that was approved. (In short they stayed slightly less than 8 months in US during 2013)

They left US on November 20th and would like to visit again sometime this year. Here are my 2 questions:

1) I heard that if you file an extension during a particular year, you cannot travel to US the following year. Is it really true?

2) If above is not true, is there a minimum time that my parents should stay back in India before making another entry to US. I am planning to call them here around March 20th 2014 so which would mean 4 months gap. Is it good enough?

Please suggest...

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Rohit

Hello,

My parents visited me in US last year in 2013. They stayed for 6 months and I applied for their extension for 90 days which was approved - they stayed 55 out of the 90 day extension that was approved. (In short they stayed slightly less than 8 months in US during 2013)

They left US on November 20th and would like to visit again sometime this year. Here are my 2 questions:

1) I heard that if you file an extension during a particular year, you cannot travel to US the following year. Is it really true?

2) If above is not true, is there a minimum time that my parents should stay back in India before making another entry to US. I am planning to call them here around March 20th 2014 so which would mean 4 months gap. Is it good enough?

Please suggest...

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Rohit

1. No such thing exists.

2. Refer 1. But, there is a possibility that they might get reduced I94 validity date or denied entry if immigration officer feels they are visiting US frequently.

While there is no specific time limit between visits, visitors are supposed to live abroad.

A visit so soon after they left from their very long stay makes it look as if they actually live in the US, which is not allowed.

A rule of thumb is to be abroad for at least twice the time they have been in the US before visiting again.

Otherwise, they risk a denial of entry.

In short, they should not come visit this year.

Thanks everyone for your prompt response. So in ideal scenario, I should ask them to avoid another trip to US this year.

The reason why I want them to visit me this year is because both of them are retired (and dependent), live alone back in India with medical conditions. Is there any provision for old age ailing parents to live in US as dependents of their son? May be any other type of VISA? I am just trying to figure out an alternate so they can come ASAP.

I appreciate your help on this matter.

Thanks everyone for your prompt response. So in ideal scenario, I should ask them to avoid another trip to US this year.

The reason why I want them to visit me this year is because both of them are retired (and dependent), live alone back in India with medical conditions. Is there any provision for old age ailing parents to live in US as dependents of their son? May be any other type of VISA? I am just trying to figure out an alternate so they can come ASAP.

Unfortunately no such provision exist.

Absolutely not. If you need to care for them you will need to go to their home. If you are a USC, you do not have to worry about losing your status. If you are otherwise, you pick - helping your parents or living in the US.

Archived