Lost Passports in US - H1B stamped last month

suresh19m

Hello,

I got H1B stamped last month but lost the passport (Visa & I-94) after I returned to the US 2 weeks ago. I'm aware of the process to get a new passport but when I go back to India before it expires do I still need to visit the embassy to get re-stamped with the same I-797 validity? Or will I have an option to mail-in the passport to the US embassy in India to get the stamping done? I heard there is some new process in place where we can mail-in the passports if we just need to renew visa etc. but not sure exactly if thats applicable for lost passports. I, like most guys, would like to avoid being in person at the US embassy.

Can someone help clarify? 

Thanks!

Hello,

I got H1B stamped last month but lost the passport (Visa & I-94) after I returned to the US 2 weeks ago. I'm aware of the process to get a new passport but when I go back to India before it expires do I still need to visit the embassy to get re-stamped with the same I-797 validity? Or will I have an option to mail-in the passport to the US embassy in India to get the stamping done? I heard there is some new process in place where we can mail-in the passports if we just need to renew visa etc. but not sure exactly if thats applicable for lost passports. I, like most guys, would like to avoid being in person at the US embassy.

Can someone help clarify? 

Thanks!

You are not eligible for drop-box as you do not fulfill the following requirement.

• 1 year later...
Hi,

I lost my passport (H1B) and lodged a compliant. I have booked an appoinment at BLS office and prepared the documents as specified in the site http://www.passport.blsindia-usa.com/lost_passport.php#tabs-quote-timeHouston.

My question is one of the document required is AFFIDAVIT FOR APPLYING FOR PASSPORT IN LIEU LOST PASSPORT/ DAMAGED PASSPORT / PASSPORTS EXPIRED MORE THAN SIX (6) MONTHS.

I lost my passport 2 weeks before and i have an appointment on 26th Feb 2015.

The problem is i have to find 2 green card holders as witness. But i have found only one person. 

Could you please share your experience if it is required document?

Or is it OK to get a witness who is not green card holder and having valid passport?

Thanks in Advance!

Archived