H1B transfer to a new employer based on current I-140

Patta

Hello,

I work for company A and I have a approved I-140 in EB-3 which I got probably 1.5 years back. I had my H1B extension done a year back based on I-140 and I have a petition which is valid until Apr 2015. Three months back my employer A bumped my case to EB-2 and it is currently under PERM processing.

My question is, if I switch to a employer B now, can they do a ( transfer + extension) of my H1B based on employer A's I-140 asking for another 3 year extension ( assuming 2017), in which case I have sufficient time to start my GC process again with my new employer B.

Are there any risks involved in this?

Thanks

Patta.

Hello,

I work for company A and I have a approved I-140 in EB-3 which I got probably 1.5 years back. I had my H1B extension done a year back based on I-140 and I have a petition which is valid until Apr 2015. Three months back my employer A bumped my case to EB-2 and it is currently under PERM processing.

My question is, if I switch to a employer B now, can they do a ( transfer + extension) of my H1B based on employer A's I-140 asking for another 3 year extension ( assuming 2017), in which case I have sufficient time to start my GC process again with my new employer B.

Are there any risks involved in this?

Thanks

Patta.

Transfer is possible based on approved I-140 but I believe extension could be applied only at a maximum of 6 months in advance from expiry date.

Thanks Jairichi. That's what my assumption too. Since this is a transfer + extension, I thought  it could be extended based on current I-140 for another "x" year. But I would appreciate if someone could confirm this . I need to know this ASAP as I need to take a decision .

Thanks

Patta

Thanks Jairichi. That's what my assumption too. Since this is a transfer + extension, I thought  it could be extended based on current I-140 for another "x" year. But I would appreciate if someone could confirm this . I need to know this ASAP as I need to take a decision .

Thanks

Patta

Why don't you ask your employer's attorney? They would be the best to guide you.

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

Referring back to my same topic on my earlier post, Can the new employer "B" use the same I-140 ( of employer A ) for further extensions down the line.   I am asking this because if employer B doesn't start the GC process, can the same I-140 could be used to continue my stay with further extensions.

Also, can employer A cancel the I-140 which was filed by them at any stage.

Thanks

Patta.

Hi All,

Referring back to my same topic on my earlier post, Can the new employer "B" use the same I-140 ( of employer A ) for further extensions down the line.   I am asking this because if employer B doesn't start the GC process, can the same I-140 could be used to continue my stay with further extensions.

Also, can employer A cancel the I-140 which was filed by them at any stage.

Thanks

Patta.

As long as employer A does not revoke your approved I-140 employer B can file for extensions.

Yes, employer A has all rights to revoke I-140 if they want to.

Thanks Jairichi.  Do we get an intimation in the event of Employer A revoking the I-140 which they filed. In my case I paid 300 odd dollars 2 years back when my employer filed I-140.  Can they still cancel it.

Thanks

Patta

I do not think USCIS will intimate you. Only your employer has to inform you.

Archived