Traveling while H1/H4 Visa Extension is in progress

hellothere

Hello! My husband's H1b and my H4 visa extensions are in progress. Our visa has expired end of Dec and I am planning to travel to India while my husband stays here until the extension is approved. Is is advisable for me to travel while the extension is in progress? Would appreciate if anyone can shed some light on this.

Hello! My husband's H1b and my H4 visa extensions are in progress. Our visa has expired end of Dec and I am planning to travel to India while my husband stays here until the extension is approved. Is is advisable for me to travel while the extension is in progress? Would appreciate if anyone can shed some light on this.

Yes, you can travel. But, to get back to US you need to apply for H4 visa at US consulate. For this you would need a copy of your husband's I797 approval notice for extension.

Ok thanks for your reply! I have another question -  so would I have to apply for a fresh H4 visa or is it enough if I get the renewed dates stamped on my passport? My husband will be coming as soon as the extension is approved, so I should have the I797 copy too. I've been reading about abandonment of status, does it apply in my case?

Ok thanks for your reply! I have another question -  so would I have to apply for a fresh H4 visa or is it enough if I get the renewed dates stamped on my passport? My husband will be coming as soon as the extension is approved, so I should have the I797 copy too. I've been reading about abandonment of status, does it apply in my case?

A fresh H4 visa will be stamped in your passport on approval. You need a copy of your spouse's I797 (extension approval notice). Once you travel outside US during your extension application is in process it is considered as abandoning of the process. But, it is not a problem.

Thank you! Will this be a problem for my husband's extension in any way? Could you also let me know if I may require additional docs for stamping or if I could just go with the same documents I did when I went to get the extension stamped last time, since you say its a going to be a new h4 visa. My husband will accompany me anyways. Do I have to withdraw the application or can the process just go on?

Thank you! Will this be a problem for my husband's extension in any way? Could you also let me know if I may require additional docs for stamping or if I could just go with the same documents I did when I went to get the extension stamped last time, since you say its a going to be a new h4 visa. My husband will accompany me anyways. Do I have to withdraw the application or can the process just go on?

This process will not affect your husband's ongoing extension process. Absolutely needed document is a copy of your spouse's I797 extension approval notice. Carrying other related documents is always better. There is no need to withdraw your H4 extension application. Since you left the country it would be considered abandoned.

Archived