H1 - Travel to India - Come back on H4

Sris02

Hello,

I'm on H1B with an X Company. I would like to convert my visa to H4. I have not filed for COS to H4 yet as I will be travelling to India in 2 weeks and I heard that the COS might take a month or longer. My question here is, Is it okay if I directly leave to India with my current H1B status and attend an H4 Visa stamping in India (as my husband is on H1B in US)? Do I have to mandatorily go through COS first and then visit?

Your reply is appreciated.

Thanks,

Nishantha

Hello,

I'm on H1B with an X Company. I would like to convert my visa to H4. I have not filed for COS to H4 yet as I will be travelling to India in 2 weeks and I heard that the COS might take a month or longer. My question here is, Is it okay if I directly leave to India with my current H1B status and attend an H4 Visa stamping in India (as my husband is on H1B in US)? Do I have to mandatorily go through COS first and then visit?

Your reply is appreciated.

Thanks,

Nishantha

You are fine in leaving US and applying for a H4 visa at US consulate and entering US based on that. COS application is only required if you are planning to change your status while being in US. It is not mandatory if you are ready to exit and enter US with a different valid visa.

Archived