Late in filing tax returns (did not owe any taxes) - How will it affect H1-B Visa application?

s84

Hi, 

I came to the US in 2011 as a student. I was working as a teaching assistant in the university and was earning a stipend during the two years. I also did an internship for 3 months during my 2nd year during which I earned an income. I graduated in May 2013 and have been working on OPT since June 2013. I have been late in submitting my federal and state tax returns for 2012. I do not owe the federal or state governments any taxes - In fact, I was eligible for refunds. 

Will this affect my H1-B Visa application and chances of being approved for the same? Will this have any implications in the visa stamping process?

Thanks!

Hi, 

I came to the US in 2011 as a student. I was working as a teaching assistant in the university and was earning a stipend during the two years. I also did an internship for 3 months during my 2nd year during which I earned an income. I graduated in May 2013 and have been working on OPT since June 2013. I have been late in submitting my federal and state tax returns for 2012. I do not owe the federal or state governments any taxes - In fact, I was eligible for refunds. 

Will this affect my H1-B Visa application and chances of being approved for the same? Will this have any implications in the visa stamping process?

Thanks!

As long as you have submitted your tax returns you are fine. Remember whether you owe taxes or not you need to file every year without fail.

Archived