L1 to L2 status change

PradhanP

Hello,

Me and my spouse are both on L1B Visa which is expired and right now we both are staying on i94. Unfortunately my spouse's assignment got over recently. I want to know if my spouse can change the status from L1 to L2 (I understand she has to resign from the employer) here in US only without going back to India.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Hello,

Me and my spouse are both on L1B Visa which is expired and right now we both are staying on i94. Unfortunately my spouse's assignment got over recently. I want to know if my spouse can change the status from L1 to L2 (I understand she has to resign from the employer) here in US only without going back to India.

Thanks in advance for your response.

She has to apply for COS by filing I539 and supporting documents with USCIS.

That means she can apply for COS (From L1 to L2) without going back to India even if I am on I94 of my L1B Visa. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.

Yes, she can file for a COS from L1 to L2 with USCIS and no need to go to India. As long as a decision is pending with USCIS on her COS application she is on legal status in US. When was your spouse last working day? Resigning from L1 employer depends on her work contract. Check her contract for details.

Archived