H1 Transfer and Health Insurance

avlesk

Hi,
I'm on group health insurance with my current employer A. Company B is planning to file my H1B transfer but they start providing group health insurance for new employees only after 30 days of joining. My questions are..

1. Can I buy individual health insurance separately for a month during the first 30 days alone for my family? MY wife is pregnant and want to know how to get it for our family for that period alone. We are moving to Boston.

2. During the notice period to Company A, can they stop my insurance within that period so that instead of 30 days, I should plan to get it for 30+notice period days?

Are there any legal implications to this?

Selva

COBRA is what allows you to maintain coverage during that interim period.  It will be expensive but take it.

Hi,

Thanks. Should I take COBRA before I even send notice to my employer? Or in other words, must I've been covered under COBRA 1 day before my date of submitting resignation with my employer? 

• 5 weeks later...

You can also get private health insurance packages for the interim periods when you are between health insurance plans from your jobs. Visitors health insurance packages help because you know your family is covered while you wait for the group health insurance to start – you won’t get into trouble if you or your family falls ill.

• 2 months later...

Think Individual insurance from marketplace might be a better option if one is employed with a small company and changing employer. Although it would be bit expensive, it would provide continuity in insurance and you can choose a plan for the year.

Would request other members to provide their views on this.

Archived