on H1B getting laid off soon.. my options...

opt_extension

Hi All,

Recently my company announced plant closure and I have a termination date 27 Dec 13. I couldn't find a full time job yet but hope to find soon. To maintain my legal status I have 2 options 1) Convert to H4, 2) Convert to B2. Based on the above scenario please help me with the following questions,

1) H4 or B2? which one I should convert to?

2)  If the H4 or B2 application is pending with USCIS and meanwhile I find a job, Can I work for new company with the USCIS/FEDEX receipt only or do I have to wait for USCIS approval?

Thank You for your help !

Hi All,

Recently my company announced plant closure and I have a termination date 27 Dec 13. I couldn't find a full time job yet but hope to find soon. To maintain my legal status I have 2 options 1) Convert to H4, 2) Convert to B2. Based on the above scenario please help me with the following questions,

1) H4 or B2? which one I should convert to?

2)  If the H4 or B2 application is pending with USCIS and meanwhile I find a job, Can I work for new company with the USCIS/FEDEX receipt only or do I have to wait for USCIS approval?

Thank You for your help !

1. It is your choice.

2. Nope, you need to wait for H1B approval.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank You @Jairichi and @Joef

I thought I would file my self a paper I-539 for a change of status to H4 but some of the questions I was not able to understand, please help me with the following,

My spouse has approved h1b petition however last month she was assigned to a new project (client) that lead to amending H1B petition with new LCA  and it is pending with USCIS?

In this scenario what should I select answers for Part 3 section of I-539,

1) I/we request that my/our current or requested status be extended untill?

2) is this application based on an extension or change of status already granted to your spouse,child or parent? NO, YES.... USCIS receipt no#?

3)is this application based on a separate petition or application to give your spouse,child or parent an extension or change of status? NO, YES, filed with this I-539.

YES, filed previously and pending with USCIS receipt#

Thank You

Archived