All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
konala

Currently in US, appmt at Ottawa on Jan 8th. Can I travel to India in December and go for H1 stamping to Canada from India to reenter US.

Hi All,

I am in US since 2004 on H1.

Got appointment on Jan 8th 2014 at Ottawa - Canada location for my stamping. Due to some personal situation I need to visit India December monthend. Since I have already taken appointment, I was wondering if I can visit India December month end and go to Canada directly on 6th Jan from India and attended my appointment on 8th Jan, then return to US.

Has anyone heard or done this and is it ok, going from India to Canada for US visa stamping to reenter US.

I have visit visa for Canada till 2015 - Multiple entry, this would be my first time to Canada.

Please advice.

Thanks,
Konala.

Hi All,

I am in US since 2004 on H1.

Got appointment on Jan 8th 2014 at Ottawa - Canada location for my stamping. Due to some personal situation I need to visit India December monthend. Since I have already taken appointment, I was wondering if I can visit India December month end and go to Canada directly on 6th Jan from India and attended my appointment on 8th Jan, then return to US.

Has anyone heard or done this and is it ok, going from India to Canada for US visa stamping to reenter US.

I have visit visa for Canada till 2015 - Multiple entry, this would be my first time to Canada.

Please advice.

Thanks,
Konala.

Yes, you can. But, your new H1B visa has to be approved at US consulate, Canada to enter US.

This is a tricky situation.

There is a good chance the VO may ask the reason why you did not attended the interview in India when you had a chance.

You need to give a convincing answer. And i would recommend you to talk to your attorney before you take any steps.

I checked with my attorney and they said I can travel to Canada from India for my US visa stamping. But I had a doubt on what VO would say. I requested for expedite appointment and I got one mid-december. So I will be going to Canada from US itself.

Thanks for your input.