F2 with 1+ yr OPT validity vs H4 VISA approval chances


Recommended Posts


    I'm on OPT at the moment and I'm planning to get married as soon as I figure out dependent visa things. My spouse is from India.


I will be applying for the STEM extension in Feb as it will expire in June, 2014.


Solution 1

I'm planning to get married around Feb.  I'm thinking of waiting until I get the STEM extension (hopefully) so that I would have more OPT validity before my spouse applies for F2. 


Solution 2

Another way of dealing with the same is to ask my spouse wait until Oct (in case H1 gets approved) and make her apply for H4. Obviously, that's not something I would prefer in terms of wait period. 


I understand that the solution 1 has to happen before any H1 processing starts. I'm just trying my luck at getting the stem extension before April. 



Please could you suggest whether Solution 1 is something that I can count on? 


Having to wait until Oct could be bad!


Link to comment


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.