Lost/Stolen I-797 --- Visa Stamping !!!

kraziboi

Hi Everyone,

I lost my I-797 and passport when there was a break-in in my apt. I contacted my attorney and they are charging around  $ 900 to apply for a duplicate copy of I-797.

$405 for application

$450 - Attorney Fee

$25 - Some other fee

I have a scanned copy of I-797 with me. I am applying for a passport.

My question are as follows:

1. Do i need a Duplicate copy of I-797 to go for visa stamping or just a photocopy of original is good.

2. Do i need to show I-797 at the port of entry every time i come in (is there a chance that they might ask for it).

3. i Checked with my employer if i can apply on my own and they said- since my H1B was applied through the attorney , the duplicate copy needs to be applied by the attorney. Is that true?

Please let me know your experiences and suggestions which would be of great help in dealing with the situation!!!

Hi Everyone,

I lost my I-797 and passport when there was a break-in in my apt. I contacted my attorney and they are charging around  $ 900 to apply for a duplicate copy of I-797.

$405 for application

$450 - Attorney Fee

$25 - Some other fee

I have a scanned copy of I-797 with me. I am applying for a passport.

My question are as follows:

1. Do i need a Duplicate copy of I-797 to go for visa stamping or just a photocopy of original is good.

2. Do i need to show I-797 at the port of entry every time i come in (is there a chance that they might ask for it).

3. i Checked with my employer if i can apply on my own and they said- since my H1B was applied through the attorney , the duplicate copy needs to be applied by the attorney. Is that true?

Please let me know your experiences and suggestions which would be of great help in dealing with the situation!!!

1. Original.

2. Yes.

3. I believe you can apply by yourself. Not 100% sure though. Look for FOIA in USCIS website

1. You would definitely need duplicate of I-797 approval. Xerox copy is not sufficient. But in my opinion, your lawyer can just call USCIS and request to re-sent I-797 approval and USCIS would send duplicate of I-797 approval. It happened in my case - USPS never delivered the mail, so my employer just contact USCIS to get me the duplicate of I-797 approval. I don't know why your lawyer wants to file a new application. Something fishy!

2. Yes, you may be asked to show.

3. H-1b is employer's petition. You have no authority to contact USCIS.

Archived