ReEntry using Green Card

Recommended Posts



I got a green card in Jan 2013, suddenly my father got serious illness and I had to travel back to India on 8 Jun 2013 to take care of him.

Currently I am still in India. Wanted to check if there will be any problem to my green card status or will there be any queries raised at port of entry if I stay beyond 6 months in India.


Pl advice



Link to comment

To stay outside the U.S. and maintain your permanent residency visa (green card) for greater than 6 months (up to 2 years) requires a reentry permit.  However, a reentry permit must be applied for, approved, and received before leaving the U.S.  In the situation you posted about, I would consult with a qualified, experienced immigration attorney, as they would be better able to advise you on your options and the necessary actions you should to take.  (There is a SB-1 Returning Resident visa, but I would not rely on that without advice and a strong recommendation from an immigration attorney.)

Link to comment

Yes. You are expected to live and work in the US as a LPR.  Stays between 6 months and a year MAY be problematic but are not automatic forfeiture of GC. Stays longer than 1 year are a major issue. You need to return to your US home ASAP.  (I hope you are not working in India.).

Link to comment


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.