University Transfer- Seniors need help

sreddy14

Hello Members,

Thank you for responding my other post. It helped me a lot . 

Here is an another question regarding the University transfer.

I got visa on University A but i want to go another univesity B . 

My Question:

1. Can i go directly University B as soon as i landed here ?

2. Is it Mandatory to report Univesity A because i got visa on it ?

3. If Yes to question 1. What steps i need to take ?

Thank you in Advance for your ansers.

Thanks

No, you cannot simply come to the U.S. to attend one university and then attend another university -- that is illegal..

You need to get a new, separate I-20 from the second university (which will effectively void the I-20 from the first university, the last I-20 issued is valid one), and request a SEVIS transfer from the first university to the second university.  Until these processes are complete you cannot come to the U.S.  The DSO from the second university should be providing you all this information.  Otherwise they are not doing their job.

Thank Catx and Joef.

I got University B I20 after i went for visa interview ( i was not sure i will get an admission).  University B is first choice since i applied .

Both universities are good. But University B is my choice in less tution fees compared to A and also it is near to my family place.

Thanks

I believe you are still in your home country. It is better to rephrase your question whether you can go for another F1visa stamping as you have obtained admission in your favorite university which was delayed? Rather than asking whether you can join school B directly or transfer to B after landing in US. Hopefully you would get an answer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Members,

Thank you for responding my other post. It helped me a lot . 

Here is an another question regarding the University transfer.

I got visa on University A but i want to go another univesity B . 

My Question:

1. Can i go directly University B as soon as i landed here ?

2. Is it Mandatory to report Univesity A because i got visa on it ?

3. If Yes to question 1. What steps i need to take ?

Thank you in Advance for your ansers.

Thanks

1) No, you cannot go directly to University B. Because, right now your sevis that was active was associated with old University. 

2) Yes, you need to report to University A and it is must. After reporting to them, you can say that you wanted to transfer to different university. Then they will transfer your sevis to new University. At a time you can have only one active sevis, as you already have a sevis that was active with University A, the only way you can transfer to different University is by asking them to transfer the sevis to different university. This is the best way and most of the students does this, it simple you do not need be panic.

3) The only way you can directly report to University B is by canceling the existing sevis and repay for new seivs that was on your Unversity B I20. Which is not recommended. So, come here and transfer to new university.

• 2 weeks later...

University A will not agree to transfer Sevis fee to University B without completing at least one semester.

You should consider taking courses in university A whose credits can count towards yours program in university B.

Your visa is issued and stamped w.r.to i-20 of university A. So you should present the same i-20 at the port of entry.

----------

About few years ago, I was in the same position.

I got I-20 and visa stamped from university A (top-20). Due to high volume of applications, university B (top-5) took its time to respond with admission decision.

Came to US and studied courses with transferable credits at university A in the first semester. Transferred the sevis to university B (university A professor monitoring my curriculum happily agreed as it is good for my career to go to university B). University A office of immigration services required no objection from the dean of graduate school who sought the advise of professor/mentor assigned to monitor my program requirements at university A.

• 1 year later...

I transferred my sevis from uni A to B after reporting to Uni A.But when i applied for transfer they did not say anything.Because i asked to them to change my major from MBA to It. They gave me conditions to complete some prerequisite courses. Then transferred to uni b and successfully completed my graduation.But recently I got an opt rfe where USCIS asked for Uni A transcript.I do not know how to response on it because i did not attend the class in Uin A. Does anybody has the answer ? 

I transferred my sevis from uni A to B after reporting to Uni A.But when i applied for transfer they did not say anything.Because i asked to them to change my major from MBA to It. They gave me conditions to complete some prerequisite courses. Then transferred to uni b and successfully completed my graduation.But recently I got an opt rfe where USCIS asked for Uni A transcript.I do not know how to response on it because i did not attend the class in Uin A. Does anybody has the answer ? 

I gave you an answer on another forum...

You did not attend classes in Uni A? Then where was these prerequisite courses completed? And, why don't you talk to Uni A about the situation?

Is that answer or question? I am looking for answer I mean what should i write to response rfe?

Do you think uni A will talk to me? But I wili try to talk to them.Could anybody rephrase this law.Is this a valid reason to deny OPT    

214.2(f)(8)(i)

(i) A student who is maintaining status may transfer to another Service approved school by following the notification procedure prescribed in paragraph (f)(8)(ii) of this section. However, an F-1 student is not permitted to remain in the United States when transferring between schools or programs unless the student will begin classes at the transfer school or program within 5 months of transferring out of the current school or within 5 months of the program completion date on his or her current Form I-20, whichever is earlier. In the case of an F-1 student authorized to engage in post-completion optional practical training (OPT), the student must be able resume classes within 5 months of transferring out of the school that recommended OPT or the date the OPT authorization ends, whichever is earlier. An F-1 student who was not pursuing a full course of study at the school he or she was last authorized to attend is ineligible for school transfer and must apply for reinstatement under the provisions of paragraph (f)(16) of this section, or, in the alternative, may depart the country and return as an initial entry in a new F-1 non-immigrant status.

Answer has to be no transcripts exist for university A.

In the RFE USCIS asked me bellow questions:

1.Copies of all pages of all SEVIS Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status (Forms I-20) issued to you by uni A (ANS: I forgot to give uni A i-20 so i am going to provide it)

2.      An official copy of your most recent transcript from uni A:

Response:I do not have transcript from uni because I never attended classes at uni A.I was accepted at uni A in January5, 2014; however, I immediately transferred to uni B where I changed my major to IT and started classes in January13, 2014. My uni B transcript shows completion of two classes in that (Winter) quarter. ..............plz help me here

2.      The Uni B transcript I provided with my response to RFE shows transfer credits

Response: : the source of these transfer credits is provided.

( i have another MBA on Accounting and Information system from my home country i got approved at uni B to transfer credit from that MBA  )  my q is ...may be they are doubt about my transfer credit that is why they asked me question 2 uni A transcript.  ) please give me suggestion to solve this issue.

Thanks in advance 

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I did not get opt because of above reason.Before getting denial i enrolled for another degree. Now i am planning to apply for opt again. Can i reapply for opt again ? 

You would get the same RFE again. It is all in your file.

Archived