L1 to F1 conversion - Status effect

murthy_bsn

Hi,

My L1 is going to expire by Jan, 2014. I am looking for schools to convert to F1. I heard that once F1 gets approved the status is immediate. Once my F1 gets approved how many days can I have to resign my current employer? Can someone please help.

Why are you applying for change of status to F1?Are you going to study?

Zero days. If your school start date is not immediate then you have to leave US and enter with F1 visa.

Why are you applying for change of status to F1?Are you going to study?

Zero days. If your school start date is not immediate then you have to leave US and enter with F1 visa.

Hi Jairichi,

Yes, I am going to study. So do I need to resign my employer before F1 gets approved? It it bit risk if my F1 not approved, right?

Hi Jairichi,

Yes, I am going to study. So do I need to resign my employer before F1 gets approved? It it bit risk if my F1 not approved, right?

No. You can resign immediately after F1 is approved provided you do not have any notice period. If your employer is flexible you can work with them till the last day of F1 approval. And, look at pontevecchio's response.

OP,  COS to F1 takes time. It may not be approved in time for Jan start - if you have even been admitted. Do NOT just go to any fly by night school to remain in the US.  You do more damage to your career than by going home and getting admission to a quality university.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I am posting for this topic as my case is close to this, I am on L1-B Visa right now and my VISA expired in 2013 and I-94 expired recently. But before I-94 expiration my employer filed L1-B Extension and I got REF for my L1-B Visa. I have time till January 2nd 2015 to respond to RFE, Now I am decided to go to college. If I apply for COS to F-1 and got received receipt from USCIS before January 2nd 2015 can I legally stay in USA till F-1 approved?

Hi,

I am posting for this topic as my case is close to this, I am on L1-B Visa right now and my VISA expired in 2013 and I-94 expired recently. But before I-94 expiration my employer filed L1-B Extension and I got REF for my L1-B Visa. I have time till January 2nd 2015 to respond to RFE, Now I am decided to go to college. If I apply for COS to F-1 and got received receipt from USCIS before January 2nd 2015 can I legally stay in USA till F-1 approved?

If your L1 ext is rejected then you need to exit US.

Hi,

Universities have application deadlines. You can't just "apply for COS to F1."

First, you need to apply at a university. They usually take several months to accept or deny an application. And they may only accept people for a specific start date, like the Fall Quarter.

If accepted, they would issue an I-20 to you. That I-20 is used to file a COA to F1.

This process wouldn't be done until Jan. 2.

This "getting an F1 because of the RFE" stuff that you are trying is not going to work.

Archived