H1B Transfer - possible lay off

Bestrong221

Hi 

I am a Full time employee on a Big American company A ( not a consultancy firm )  which sponsored my current H1B Visa (valid till Jan 2015 )  .

Just FYI , my visa stamping is done recently in India ( Jun 2013 ) , so my passport has visa stamp valid until Jan 2015

I am hearing rumors that i might be laid off soon . I have following questions 

1 . Do they revoke my H1B visa before the layoff ( like communication to USCIS or Dept of labor )  ? In that case if i apply for H1B transfer later through a company B after say like after 20 days of my termination , will USCIS Approve my H1B Transfer  ? Does USCIS consider that my H1B is no longer valid when company A revokes my H1B visa at the time of termination ? Do i have apply for any other visa if USCIS does not approve H1B transfer ?

Basically how much time do i have to get my H1B transfer done from company B after company A terminates me ? 

2 . Company A filed my LABOR/PERM for GC 4 months back  - which is in progress. I am not sure when that will be approved .Ifi change jobs /  (company A terminates me) to Company B  after PERM and I140 approved , Do i still need to file PERM and I140 from company B.

What is the minimum time i should file PERM/I140 before 6 year mark from company B ?

Please let me know ASAP and help me.

Thanks

1. you will be out of status the day after your last pay day at Company A. unfortunately there is no documentation stating how long you can stay and look for a new job. when you apply for a h1b with company B, it will be evaluated and the office can either approve with I94 or ask you to exi and ener the country with a new I94. I have a frnd whose petition was approved recently even after not having a job for 3 months.

2. when you change jobs you will have to file for a new PERM. if you already have a approved I140, then when you file a new PERM, you will priority date will carry over to new PERM and to I140.

Since you are already ahearing rumors, its in your best interest that you look for a job immediately and then apply for transfer with new employer. if the company A lays you off during this process, you can join company B with the application petition reciept or once approved move to B.

Archived