I-94 issue while coming back to US from Canada

chethandv

Under what circumstances is a new I-94 issued while entering US from Canada ?  

From what I heard, if you travel to Canada by road from the US and come back within 30 days, you retain your I-94 whereas if you fly back you will be issued a new I-94 irrespective of the no. of days you stay in Canada.  Does anyone know the exact rule regarding this ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What Ever you are talking about its called AVR rule (Automatic Visa Revalidation) in which you can come back to US within 30 days without any visa requirement, if you have valid

I-94.i am not sure about the difference between Flying and by Road but i used this AVR rule last month and i drive. and you have to make sure "Do not surrender your Old i94" while your entering into Canada.

couple of thing you need to make sure.

(i) the trip is no more than 30 days;

(iii) Has maintained and intends to resume nonimmigrant status;
(iv) Is coming back to the U.S. within the authorized period of initial admission or extension of stay;
(v) Is in possession of a valid passport;
(vi) Does not require authorization for inadmisibility; and
(vii) Has not applied for a new visa while abroad. 

but also it all depends on your luck when you are coming back to US. i got argument @ border regarding AVR rule. so please if you planing to use AVR then do it at ur own risk, and please take advice from attorney.
thanks 

From what I heard, if you travel to Canada by road from the US and come back within 30 days, you retain your I-94 whereas if you fly back you will be issued a new I-94 irrespective of the no. of days you stay in Canada.  Does anyone know the exact rule regarding this ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That's called AVR. Just google it.

AVR applies in both cases.

Archived