Trading from India

Phal

Hi all,

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask. I have worked in US on H1B Visa. While working I have opened an account in one of US stock broker. I came to India for stamping, got 221g and it has been more than 1 year I hav heard anything from the US consulate. I have decided to stay in India. I would like to know if I can continue do trading with US broker and buy US stocks (NASDAQ) from India. I will be paying taxes for trading. Is this legal? What would be the worst case scenario if this is not legal? I am not planning to move back to US.

• 3 weeks later...

The answer is yes to the extent that you would not be violating any US immigration laws. But you have to consider the tax consequences in US/India and the FEMA consequences in India (since you mentioned you will not be coming back to US). You have to talk with a CPA in US and a CA in India. Potentially the CA might refer to a lawyer for discussing FEMA consequences. 

The answer is yes to the extent that you would not be violating any US immigration laws. But you have to consider the tax consequences in US/India and the FEMA consequences in India (since you mentioned you will not be coming back to US). You have to talk with a CPA in US and a CA in India. Potentially the CA might refer to a lawyer for discussing FEMA consequences. 

u mean FICA? only apply to day traders and not for foreigners..however OP is likely to be resident-alien for tax purposes for couple of more years..but still unlikely to be a day trader..

and no chance of violating immigration rules in india..

u mean FICA? only apply to day traders and not for foreigners..however OP is likely to be resident-alien for tax purposes for couple of more years..but still unlikely to be a day trader..

and no chance of violating immigration rules in india..

Sorry, I should have been more clear: FEMA, like in Foreign Exchange Management Act in  India. If an Indian citizen resides in India for more than 180 days, then the person usually ceases to be treated as a Non Resident Indian (NRI). There are several tax and Forex consequences for this.

Non-US persons have different tax consequences for trading in the US. For example. if the beneficiary is a non-US entity the broker has to withhold 30% of dividends paid on stocks. On the other hand offshore accounts are typically not liable for US taxes. I am not sure whether a retail broker would be able to handle accounts from non-US persons.

Archived