Replace lost visa

AspireBha

Hi,

I lost my Indian passport with I94 & Visa stamping in US. I have applied for new passport & got the same. I need to get back I94 and visa stamping.

Visa: I learnt that its not possible to get replacement visa stamping done in US. Is it possible to get it done by visiting Canada & reentering US or should I go back ONLY to India to fix this.

I94: From website www.cbp.gov/I94 I tried to print e-receipt of I94. I tried with credentials of Old and new passport number. But I could not retrieve it. Is it because they make my old passport obsolete, after issuing new passport am I not able to retrieve I94 issued with old passport. Is there a way I can get back my I94.

Note: I need I94 & visa stamping to convert license from 1 state to another(I wish there were an option to get stamping done within US for lost passports)

Please share your valuable suggestions.

Thanks,

Aspire

Hi,

I lost my Indian passport with I94 & Visa stamping in US. I have applied for new passport & got the same. I need to get back I94 and visa stamping.

Visa: I learnt that its not possible to get replacement visa stamping done in US. Is it possible to get it done by visiting Canada & reentering US or should I go back ONLY to India to fix this.

I94: From website www.cbp.gov/I94 I tried to print e-receipt of I94. I tried with credentials of Old and new passport number. But I could not retrieve it. Is it because they make my old passport obsolete, after issuing new passport am I not able to retrieve I94 issued with old passport. Is there a way I can get back my I94.

Note: I need I94 & visa stamping to convert license from 1 state to another(I wish there were an option to get stamping done within US for lost passports)

Thanks,

Aspire

With your case it is better to go to your home country to apply for a visa. If there is a delay you can always stay with your loved ones than being stranded in Canada. And, do it asap.

• 3 weeks later...

JoeF and Jairichi,

Thanks a lot for your valuable replies.

As you said, I don't want to risk stamping process in Canada and get stranded. I will better go to India and get it fixed. 

Out of 3 years in H1B visa, I have spent 1 year in US. I have 2 more years left.

1)Should I wait for these years to expire and then go to India or should I go ASAP and get visa fixed. 

2)If I go now & get stamped, will it reduce the remaining 2 years that I have in hand already.

Kindly guide me about what is safe option to go to India and come back to US.

I94 - Kindly tell me why I am not able to retrieve the electronic form of I94 from CBP website. I am getting message as no record found. Do I only have the option of paying 350$ or so for replacement i94 or am i missing something.

Kindly help me in this regard.

Thanks,

Aspire

JoeF and Jairichi,

Thanks a lot for your valuable replies.

As you said, I don't want to risk stamping process in Canada and get stranded. I will better go to India and get it fixed. 

Out of 3 years in H1B visa, I have spent 1 year in US. I have 2 more years left.

1)Should I wait for these years to expire and then go to India or should I go ASAP and get visa fixed. 

2)If I go now & get stamped, will it reduce the remaining 2 years that I have in hand already.

Kindly guide me about what is safe option to go to India and come back to US.

I94 - Kindly tell me why I am not able to retrieve the electronic form of I94 from CBP website. I am getting message as no record found. Do I only have the option of paying 350$ or so for replacement i94 or am i missing something.

Kindly help me in this regard.

Thanks,

Aspire

If your I797 is valid you might get a visa till its end date along with a new I94. Even though you are in US you have no visa nor I94 to prove your valid stay in US. And, in between if you need to transfer to a new employer by filing a change of status you need an I94. I would suggest you to get a visa stamped now. It is my opinion.

As online I94 is fairly new while you have entered with a paper I94 I do not think you can retrieve it online. Contact an immigration attorney.

I would suggest you to get a visa stamped now. It is my opinion.

Jairichi - Thanks a lot for your reply. 

I am sorry, I think I did not ask my question clearly.

I have 2 more years left in my H1B visa. If I go to India for stamping, get it and re-enter US, I believe I will be getting visa for 3 years. But will pending 2 years in current visa stamping be lost? Should I wait for 2 years in US and spend this time here. Then go to India to get 3 more years freshly in new H1B stamping. 

I am bit not clear in this. Requesting you to kindly share your valuable suggestions in this regard.

Best Regards,

Aspire

Jairichi - Thanks a lot for your reply. 

I am sorry, I think I did not ask my question clearly.

I have 2 more years left in my H1B visa. If I go to India for stamping, get it and re-enter US, I believe I will be getting visa for 3 years. But will pending 2 years in current visa stamping be lost? Should I wait for 2 years in US and spend this time here. Then go to India to get 3 more years freshly in new H1B stamping. 

I am bit not clear in this. Requesting you to kindly share your valuable suggestions in this regard.

Best Regards,

Aspire

Nope they will not be lost. Your stay in US on H1B would still be 6 years - time stayed in US on H1B status.

JoeF and Jairichi,

Thanks to you both for your valuable inputs. It was extremely helpful to me.

I would try reaching CBP customer care one last time, to make sure whether its absolutely not possible for me to retrieve I94 in electronic form(I wish this were possible for me. This would save me moeny & time). 

If not i would apply i102(form for i94 replacement) by paying 300plus$ and get my i94 replaced.

Would plan my visit to India at the earliest as your suggested for getting my stamping.

Good Day.! 

Thanks,

Aspire

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Thanks,

Aspire

Hi

I've lost my passport with all my certificates in a robbery. I've filed a police complaint and will get the original in a couple of days. 

Could you please share me know your experience in applying for the duplicate passport, and what time did it take? I'm in Florida, and I'll fall under Atlanta Consulate.

Regards

RaviKiran

Archived