Attroney fee - who is responsible for labour certification processing fee?

vasu_ray

Hi, In 2007 I used to work for a software consulting firm. Even though they promised to file for my GC, they didn't do it for 1.5 years, but they started the process in 2007 June. By that time I started looking for a full time jobs and got one. I left the consulting firm, but the attorney emailed me that I should pay for the labour processing fee. Isn't labour certification processing fee, the responsibility of the firm that has employed me? USCIS certifies that a particular firm can employ foreign nationals, they get labour certification for that not for the employee no?. If so, should the employee pay for the labour processing charges to the attorney? I didn't employ the attorney. The firm employed the attorney. So I am not sure if I have to pay to the attonrey whom I didn't employ in the first place.

So am I still responsible for the labour certification processing fee to the attorney? could anyone kindly share their experiences and what I should do, if you know?

Thanks,

Vasu.

Hi, In 2007 I used to work for a software consulting firm. Even though they promised to file for my GC, they didn't do it for 1.5 years, but they started the process in 2007 June. By that time I started looking for a full time jobs and got one. I left the consulting firm, but the attorney emailed me that I should pay for the labour processing fee. Isn't labour certification processing fee, the responsibility of the firm that has employed me? USCIS certifies that a particular firm can employ foreign nationals, they get labour certification for that not for the employee no?. If so, should the employee pay for the labour processing charges to the attorney? I didn't employ the attorney. The firm employed the attorney. So I am not sure if I have to pay to the attonrey whom I didn't employ in the first place.

So am I still responsible for the labour certification processing fee to the attorney? could anyone kindly share their experiences and what I should do, if you know?

Thanks,

Vasu.

Reply the attorney asking him to contact your ex-employer.

Thanks,

Vasu.

The employer has to pay for the LC, including lawyer fees. That's the law.

Tell the lawyer to bill the employer, since you were not his client. The employer was his client.

Thanks

JoeF and Rahul, greatly appreciate your feed back...one last question, not sure if you would know...a friend of mine also mentioned that the law that the employer should pay for PERM came into effect only later in 2007...because of that the employee is responsible for the payment? is that true? again, thank you for the feed back...greatly appreciate i.

Regards,

Vasu

The law about that indeed came into effect in 2007, in July, I think.

But that doesn't mean that you have to pay for PERM.

It only means that before that, if you had an agreement with the employer that you pay for it, then and only then you were responsible for it.

And I think the law applied to all cases pending at that time as well.

Archived