H1B 6 Years Rule

krishnan311

Dear Experts,

My Initial H1B was approved in 2004.On the same H1 I am going to complete my 6th Year in April 2014.I have not lived in the US continuously for 6 Years since my 1st Visit in 2005. I other words I have lived outside of the US for more than 2 Years. This visit to the US is the longest and will be 4 Yrs by April 2014.( we have captured all the time spent outside )

My Question: Since I have not continuously stayed in the USA for 6 Years, am I eligible to apply for a new H1B through CAP this April 2014, Which will enable me to live in the US for another 2 Years?. Pls advice.

Dear Experts,

My Initial H1B was approved in 2004.On the same H1 I am going to complete my 6th Year in April 2014.I have not lived in the US continuously for 6 Years since my 1st Visit in 2005. I other words I have lived outside of the US for more than 2 Years. This visit to the US is the longest and will be 4 Yrs by April 2014.( we have captured all the time spent outside )

My Question: Since I have not continuously stayed in the USA for 6 Years, am I eligible to apply for a new H1B through CAP this April 2014, Which will enable me to live in the US for another 2 Years?. Pls advice.

No, you are not eligible to file a cap subject H1B petition in April 2014. You need to stay continuously out of US for 365 days before you become eligible to file a H1B cap subject petition. If you plan to stay till end of April 2014 in US then a new employer could file a H1B petition only by May 2015.

Archived