Questions on F2A - I-485

vandhana14

Hello All:

I am legally in the USA in F1 visa. My spouse has a green card. I have applied for I-130 around Feb timeframe.The processing dates for F2A category just became current.  I'd like to get my I-485 in ASAP so I can be eligible for the EAD. I have some questions:

1. What is the minimum list of documents I need to supply with the I-485 for it to be accepted ? My point is, the medical examination might take few days, so I was wondering if I can submit the I-485 first and then submit the I-693 whenever I get it ready ?
  2. Like I indicated already, I am on F1 visa and was planning on applying for my OPT in a month or 2. With this I-485 in process, if I apply for my EAD concurrently, would that cause an issue ?
  3. What is the earliest I can apply for my EAD after I turn in my I-485 application ? Can I apply as soon as I get a receipt ?
  4. Do I need to get a police clearance or a external background check done in addition to the I-485 application. Is that a supplement I need to provide or is it only in special cases?

Thanks very much for your time.

Hello All:

I am legally in the USA in F1 visa. My spouse has a green card. I have applied for I-130 around Feb timeframe.The processing dates for F2A category just became current.  I'd like to get my I-485 in ASAP so I can be eligible for the EAD. I have some questions:

1. What is the minimum list of documents I need to supply with the I-485 for it to be accepted ? My point is, the medical examination might take few days, so I was wondering if I can submit the I-485 first and then submit the I-693 whenever I get it ready ?
  2. Like I indicated already, I am on F1 visa and was planning on applying for my OPT in a month or 2. With this I-485 in process, if I apply for my EAD concurrently, would that cause an issue ?
  3. What is the earliest I can apply for my EAD after I turn in my I-485 application ? Can I apply as soon as I get a receipt ?
  4. Do I need to get a police clearance or a external background check done in addition to the I-485 application. Is that a supplement I need to provide or is it only in special cases?

Thanks very much for your time.

you are right; medical exam can take some time. Best thing is to plan ahead and have it done so you are ready to file as soon as the dates are current.

Now, you can move fast and get medicals done. As already suggested, you could apply ead\ap\485 concurrently.

Thank you very very much Belle and Tushar.

I can get my medicals in 2-3 days. I am going to file for I-765 & I-131. Looks like, I only need to pay the fee for I-485 and the biometric which totals to $1070.

In form I-765, Line 16, it asks the eligibility category.

I am answering 7A ©(9). Is that correct format?

Also, in I-485, they ask for affiliations with organizations. I've listed the universities I've studied in. Is that fine ?

Archived