Urgent question about travel on EAD. Please help!

Nash83

I shall be graduating with a PhD by Dec 17th and intend going for the OPT work authorization.
I shall be applying for EAD (OPT work authorization) by first week of September and have been told that it arrives in about three months time.

I intend travelling to my home country (India) for a short break in December. Can I travel with the EAD (assuming I receive it before leaving) and a job offer in hand (that I intend joining later January) ?

My current I-20 is valid until 31st December and my F1-visa is valid until 14th January.

If I carry my EAD, OPT issued I-20 with travel signature, job offer letter and passport, can I return back without any problem to the United States in the first week of January ?

Any response is much appreciated. Thank you so much!

It should not be a problem.

Remember one thing though, EAD will be valid from the date of approval and 3 months is somewhat on the higher side. If it gets approved in say Oct and you are not working from October to January, that will count as unemployment. You are not allowed to have more than 90 days of unemployment in the 12 month OPT. But you can also use your work/employment in the school itself to satisfy this. But make sure your report all changes in employment to your DSO.

If I carry my EAD, OPT issued I-20 with travel signature, job offer letter and passport, can I return back without any problem to the United States in the first week of January ?

Any response is much appreciated. Thank you so much!

From experience of a friend, traveling on OPT when you already have a visa is fine. But do not try applying for F1 visa when you are on OPT (that you are not doing anyway).

Archived