H1B Transfer - 1 year Stay in India - New CAP???

sanaths81

Hi All,

I came to US in Jul 2007 from Compnay A and left to India on 01-Jan-2010. My H1B was extended in US and was valid till Nov 2011.

In india i switched to Company B in Nov 2010. And started my H1 transfer from Company A to Company B in Dec. (I'm not sure, when exactly they files it to USCIS)

My VISA was approved in Jan 2011 and cam to US from Company B in Mar 2011.

I would like to know if my VISA transfer happened under New quota or not? i.e. Am i going to get 6 years on my VISA or not?

In order to verify this what all documents i should check and what all things to look for?

My I-129 from Company B shows the Date as Jan-07-2011 and on I-129 Data Collection form, in PART C, the first checkbox is selected, for the question

"Specify how this petition Should be counted against the  l B numerical limitation (a.k.a. the H-IB "Cap"). (Check one):"

"CAP H-iB Bachelor's Degree"

Does this mean my VISA transfer happened under new H1 quota?

Generally, an individual must be outside the U.S. for one full year in order to be counted against the H1B numerical quota again. If you meet the 1 year requirement but did not use up the 6 years of H1B time from the first time you were counted against the cap, you have the option of filing as a cap case or to request the time left from the original 6 years. You should check with the attorney and employer that filed the petition to determine whether or not it was filed as a cap case. This could also be determined by checking if the cap was still open on the date it was filed.

Archived