Can I get CPT for a second degree?

raajg

I got back on this forum recently, and read through this topic.  The point that a number of posters seem to be missing (misunderstanding) is the definition of "curriculum" with respect to CPT.

• CPT is NOT for just some job in your / related to your field (whether part time or full time).
  • CPT is for a job that is specifically part of the curriculum -- plain and simple.

For example, an internship course that is part of your degree plan that requires working at a company would be under CPT.  Doing the same job at the same company that was not part of a specific course or part of the stated curriculum (whether part time or full time) would not be under CPT.

In simple words - If you are doing Mech Engg, its fine to do your CPT with BMW's mechnical department..but not with E&Y or some consulting company's IT industry.

If it is part of the curriculum, i.e., if the internship is required to graduate, then yes, an internship with the mechanical department using CPT would be ok.

completely agree with Rahulpaudel and GNH. My friend got full time CPT last year and was working and filed H1 this year and got approved. But only condition is work or job responsibilities should be related to study. Remember no "Shady" colleges. Make sure you attain college .(even if it Saturday college) I know there are good in some states.Hope this will help you.

completely agree with Rahulpaudel and GNH. My friend got full time CPT last year and was working and filed H1 this year and got approved. But only condition is work or job responsibilities should be related to study. Remember no "Shady" colleges. Make sure you attain college .(even if it Saturday college) I know there are good in some states.Hope this will help you.

That's true, One of my brother's friend studying in public school in TX did the same thing. He worked in CPT and work location was like 300 miles away from school,but it was not school's mistake since his employer was located in TX.

What I have told in my previous posts is according to books. It doesn't matter what school a student is attending, only matters whether that student is following rules or not.

• 6 months later...

Rahul,

You can get CPT and work part time and then move to H1b...if you are smart as you said you can find a company who gives CPT and then h1b....just dont violate any rules.

N

May I ask why you resurrect old threads?

CPT abuse is a big issue nowadays, and will end the career in the US.

Incidentally, the trial of the owner of one fraud institution that offered CPT to work in 7-Elevens etc. is underway right now, the trial of the CEO of another fraud institution is scheduled for July, and a third institution was shut down in Virginia last year. All these frauds advertised CPT.

The bottom line is that legitimate CPT is VERY rare. And all these threads about CPT here are about abuse of CPT.

And we are talking about legitimate CPT only...not a fraudelent CPT.

N

People who do legitmiate CPT won't ask the questions the OP asked here.

All these CPT questions here are about fraudulent CPT.

And threads are old because stuff has been answered. The OP is unlikely to even still be around. So, you are just wasting your time.

• 1 month later...

Hi All

I did my Masters in food tech and did a one month of CPT internship and used up my whole OPT. As H1-B are finished till next year, to maintain my status in US I joined a community college for a associate degree in computer science

I have the following  question. I will appreciate if u guys have any information about it

• Can I get a CPT again while doing my associate degree.
  • Can I work fulltime in any company on CPT and for how long

If I can get another CPT can I work in a company in the field of my Masters or I can only work in the company related to the field of my current associate degree

Thanks in advance

I am in the same situation, and planning to go to a community college. Could you please tell me what was your experience.

Thanks

Archived