Can I get CPT for a second degree?

raajg

Hi All

I did my Masters in food tech and did a one month of CPT internship and used up my whole OPT. As H1-B are finished till next year, to maintain my status in US I joined a community college for a associate degree in computer science

I have the following  question. I will appreciate if u guys have any information about it

• Can I get a CPT again while doing my associate degree.
  • Can I work fulltime in any company on CPT and for how long

If I can get another CPT can I work in a company in the field of my Masters or I can only work in the company related to the field of my current associate degree

Thanks in advance

you can do CPT (Part time)  again while doing your associate degree but should be related with your major. I think in Community college, CPT is offered as a course work or something like that. You better talk with your international advisor on this one. 

However, you can't work full time during the semester. You can only work full time during summer. 

If you get CPT from another company, you must show a proof that you are working related with your current associated degree. 

Hope it helps. 

@ JoeF Why CPT is dead!!! What if you find an internship in a good company and company loves you and would like to give you a part time job while you are in the school. 

So, still concentrate on studies and reject the offer?????

@ If you are filing H1B next year, join community college, apply for CPT, make sure  it is related to your major and work for it. Do only 20hrs/week.  Not more than that.  And file next year. During the summer, go for full time CPT. 

@ If you are filing H1B next year, join community college, apply for CPT, make sure  it is related to your major and work for it. Do only 20hrs/week.  Not more than that.  And file next year. During the summer, go for full time CPT. 

Are you not reading the news??why *** and other univ's in CA were raided??

CPT is just like a 1 or 3 credit course and should be directly related to F1 program. Ex: Summer intern. If you want to work full time then go for pre-OPT.

@ JoeF Why CPT is dead!!! What if you find an internship in a good company and company loves you and would like to give you a part time job while you are in the school. 

So, still concentrate on studies and reject the offer?????

Internship is something different from that OP is looking for. Internship will be like 3 to 6 months not more than 20hrs. Reason is if you work for more than 20 hrs then that student doesn't have enough time to go to school.

CPT is for work as integral part of the curriculum ONLY. It is strictly tied to the curriculum.

If you want to just work in a company, e.g., doing a summer internship, you need to use pre-completion OPT. That exists for a reason.

Yea, he will study  computer science in a community college and works under CPT part time as a curriculum. Whats wrong with that if the company offers him a part time. You can't just use pre-opt. Pre-opt has some rules and you may not be qualify for. 

However, you may qualify for the part time CPT during your entire semester and Full time cpt during summer breaks. But make sure, it is related to your major of your study (major at your community college. )

Best of luck!!!!

Yea, he will study  computer science in a community college and works under CPT part time as a curriculum.

Except that no community college offers CPT as part of the curriculum.

Only some fraudulent institutions like **** offered this kind of stuff.

As I said, CPT is pretty much dead. The few legitimate cases are never advertised.

People need to stop abusing CPT if they want to have any future in the US!

Yea, he will study  computer science in a community college and works under CPT part time as a curriculum. Whats wrong with that if the company offers him a part time. You can't just use pre-opt. Pre-opt has some rules and you may not be qualify for. 

However, you may qualify for the part time CPT during your entire semester and Full time cpt during summer breaks. But make sure, it is related to your major of your study (major at your community college. )

Best of luck!!!!

So it's clear that since you are not eligible for pre-opt you want to go for CPT.

So it's clear that since you are not eligible for pre-opt you want to go for CPT.

He wont be eligible for it because he used all of his OPT and under the same degree (i.e, master level) 

However, he can apply for CPT throughout the semester and the company can apply for sponsorship next year. 

I guess, that will be his best option. But make sure CPT should be related with your  major. 

However, he can apply for CPT throughout the semester and the company can apply for sponsorship next year. 

CPT job is different from H1 job. H1 pays more, so how can a CPT job employer files for H1??

I guess, that will be his best option. But make sure CPT should be related with your  major. 

CPT is not an OPTION, it's opportunity. And this is completely part of F1 curriculum, I think you understand what's mean by this.

He wont be eligible for it because he used all of his OPT and under the same degree (i.e, master level) 

"Related to the major" is NOT enough for CPT.

CPT is only for work as integral part of the curriculum. That means CPT is very rare.

CPT job is different from H1 job. H1 pays more, so how can a CPT job employer files for H1??

CPT is not an OPTION, it's opportunity. And this is completely part of F1 curriculum, I think you understand what's mean by this.

Guys, we need to solve this. Are we understanding this or not. You have OPT doesn't mean you are not in F-1 status. You have CPT means the same, its a part of the curriculum and still you are in F-1 status. 

Now the question is, he didn't file for H1B this year or he couldn't get it, he need to maintain the status. And the company he works for is ready to sponsor him. 

He is wondering what would be the best option: 

In my view, the best option would be : He can join the community college or university. Look if he can apply for CPT and if he qualifies for that, take it. So , that he will maintain F-1 status, learn something from his company and the company will file H1B next year. The problem is: he dont wanna lose that job. He want to work continuously for that company and thats the only way he can maintain his status. 

"Related to the major" is NOT enough for CPT.

CPT is only for work as integral part of the curriculum. That means CPT is very rare.

If you are a smart student, CPT is not rare, you can get that. CPT is enough if it is related to your major and you work in that stuffs that are similar to the courses you have studied in the past or studying at the present. 

suppose , you are a chemical engineer, and you found a job in a chemical company, can't you apply for cpt? Whats wrong with that. The DSO would be more than happy to sign you that form.

Now the question is, he didn't file for H1B this year or he couldn't get it, he need to maintain the status. And the company he works for is ready to sponsor him. 

If the company is ready to sponsor him then let them do it. But he cannot work till Oct 1st next year, so only option is to enter with H1 visa.

In my view, the best option would be : He can join the community college or university. Look if he can apply for CPT and if he qualifies for that, take it. So , that he will maintain F-1 status, learn something from his company and the company will file H1B next year. The problem is: he dont wanna lose that job. He want to work continuously for that company and thats the only way he can maintain his status.

Again working in CPT job which is equal to H1 is illegal. That means that job is not part of F1 (because it needs H1), so that's illegal.

You are saying that 'to maintain status' enroll in community college on F1 status, again this is another abuse of F1 since his intention is to work in CPT rather than going to school.

CPT is not an OPTION to MAINTAIN A STATUS. Since OPT is almost like a FTE, it is issued for limited time and only one per degree, but CPT is not like that, it is like summer intern which can be issued for every degree and also doesn't need USCIS permission for this.

If the company is ready to sponsor him then let them do it. But he cannot work till Oct 1st next year, so only option is to enter with H1 visa.

Again working in CPT job which is equal to H1 is illegal. That means that job is not part of F1 (because it needs H1), so that's illegal.

You are saying that 'to maintain status' enroll in community college on F1 status, again this is another abuse of F1 since his intention is to work in CPT rather than going to school.

CPT is not an OPTION to MAINTAIN A STATUS. Since OPT is almost like a FTE, it is issued for limited time and only one per degree, but CPT is not like that, it is like summer intern which can be issued for every degree and also doesn't need USCIS permission for this.

@rahul412 : lol, I understand what you plan to say. Look at those all immigrants who came illegally here and making tons of money and sending back home. We came legally here, studied legally and wanna study more and we want to work part time and do pay for our tuition fees and stuffs. We have no intention of sending money back. There are two ways of viewing it. 

1. Oh yea, he got a CPT, now he can work part time, can make some money. and he can take his study and financial stuffs together. 

2. **** man, he just maintained his status to find CPT and work and be legal. Thats not fair, why abuse of F-1 visa.

Since, we came legally, and want to study legally, we are looking for a right path. Working as a CPT and studying is just perfect if a college offers it. I dont see any problem on that. 

Guys, we need to solve this. Are we understanding this or not. You have OPT doesn't mean you are not in F-1 status. You have CPT means the same, its a part of the curriculum and still you are in F-1 status. 

If you are a smart student, CPT is not rare, you can get that. CPT is enough if it is related to your major and you work in that stuffs that are similar to the courses you have studied in the past or studying at the present. 

suppose , you are a chemical engineer, and you found a job in a chemical company, can't you apply for cpt? Whats wrong with that. The DSO would be more than happy to sign you that form.

CPT is NOT and has NEVER been just for some work related to the major. Please read 8 CFR 214.2(f).

CPT is for work as integral part of the curriculum.

If you want to work in some job related to your major, there is pre-completion OPT.

As I said, this is all laid out in 8 CFR 214.2(f).

I know that there are some rumors, mostly perpetuated by people who have signed up with some shady institutions or outright frauds. These rumors are wrong.

@rahul412 : lol, I understand what you plan to say. Look at those all immigrants who came illegally here and making tons of money and sending back home. We came legally here, studied legally and wanna study more and we want to work part time and do pay for our tuition fees and stuffs. We have no intention of sending money back. There are two ways of viewing it.

If you want to know my opinion about the illegal immigrants, then do a search in this forum and you will know. Even some senior member's had to shut their mouths when I raised the legal questions.

1. Oh yea, he got a CPT, now he can work part time, can make some money. and he can take his study and financial stuffs together. 

Have you ever attending F1 visa interview?? During the interview you have to show vo that you have enough money to fund your degree. So he already has enough money for the stay. And CPT work is not for that.

2. **** man, he just maintained his status to find CPT and work and be legal. Thats not fair, why abuse of F-1 visa.

Since, we came legally, and want to study legally, we are looking for a right path. Working as a CPT and studying is just perfect if a college offers it. I dont see any problem on that. 

If you think that's right path, can you explain me why ICE raided few univ and closed them?? Especially the one in CA, that is TVU.

@rahul412: Yup, I agree with you now. 

Now, I have a question for you regarding my status. I have never worked illegally, clear history, clear record, clear status, prefect credit report. Graduating next semester , have a job offer letter already after I graduate. Company is ready to sponsor as well. Working under CPT and its related with my major. My full time CPT will be around 6 months and part time cpt will be around 12 months. 

I did one mistake, I worked like 25/week during my part time CPT for like 3-4 months. I was maintaining full time status in my college as well. Do they see that check stuffs and drag me out. Should I file for a OPT or go straight for a master program. Company is ready to sponsor me though. 

Well, getting an ankle bracket and getting deported is also "just perfect", as the people who attended TVU found out.

CPT is NOT and has NEVER been for working in some arbitrary job.

If you like it or not, doing that is a recipe for deportation and a lifelong ban.

And ranting about illegals doesn't change that.

"Officer, the car in front of me was speeding as well" doesn't get you out of a speeding ticket.

Now, I have a question for you regarding my status. I have never worked illegally, clear history, clear record, clear status, prefect credit report. Graduating next semester , have a job offer letter already after I graduate. Company is ready to sponsor as well. Working under CPT and its related with my major. My full time CPT will be around 6 months and part time cpt will be around 12 months.

CPT is not just related to your major, it should be the part of your F1. If that work is not related to your F1 degree then you are in trouble.

BTW while working in CPT you have to attend the classes, so what type of CPT work are doing for '12' months and attending the classes simultaneously??

Archived