last 2 semesters in F1 and question about reduced course load in the last

gtm

HI

The student was a full time graduate student (9 units per sem) for first 2 sems.(aug 2012-apr 2013)

got converted to F1 from H4 in summer(may to august '13) in holidays.

The School sjsu says one has to be a full time F1 student(9units per sem) to be eligible for OPT at end of masters.My question is that...if the student has completed 18 units already in first two sems and is left with only 12 units for the remaining two semesters.( total is 30 units for degree completion). if he/she takes 9 units to be full timeF1 student  in 3rd sem.'and here comes the problem.....left with only 3 units in the graduating semester.Will he be eligible for OPT??? because he is not left with anymore courses.... and he is on F1 

HI

The student was a full time graduate student (9 units per sem) for first 2 sems.(aug 2012-apr 2013)

got converted to F1 from H4 in summer(may to august '13) in holidays.

The School sjsu says one has to be a full time F1 student(9units per sem) to be eligible for OPT at end of masters.My question is that...if the student has completed 18 units already in first two sems and is left with only 12 units for the remaining two semesters.( total is 30 units for degree completion). if he/she takes 9 units to be full timeF1 student  in 3rd sem.'and here comes the problem.....left with only 3 units in the graduating semester.Will he be eligible for OPT??? because he is not left with anymore courses.... and he is on F1 

I think he is not eligible for OPT since he is not Full time F1 student for one year. But he can by taking additional courses.

My OPT has been approved (July 2013). In my graduating semester (Summer 2013) I registered for just one course and filed a reduced course workload form with my DSO. This is sufficient to establish full-time status required for OPT. The university cannot force you to register for more than the minimum coursework.

Archived