Applying Visitor Visa for parents

deep_bi

Can anyone please send me the process how to apply Visitor Visa for parents.I heard that visa validity will be for 10 years but parents can stay 6 months and again can return to US after 6 months.Or at the end of the 5th month you can apply for extension,so they can stay for an year atmost.Please correct me if my opinion is not true.

Will there be any rejections or granting them less time periods(< 10 years)even in Visitor visa.Planning to bring parents for helping with our pregnancy.

Can anyone please send me the process how to apply Visitor Visa for parents.I heard that visa validity will be for 10 years but parents can stay 6 months and again can return to US after 6 months.Or at the end of the 5th month you can apply for extension,so they can stay for an year atmost.Please correct me if my opinion is not true.

Usually a visitor is permitted to stay in US for 6months. But that depends on officer at POE. If you want to file for ext, then you need to have genuine reason for ext because ANY visitor will not stay in foreign country for more than 6months.

In your case, it's pregnancy and you will delivery baby even if they are not here. So obviously if you apply for their visiting visa, it will be rejected,because helping a person is not allowing for any visitor( though it's a responsibility in few countries).

Check the website of the us consulate where your parents would need to attend. They usually have instructions on B2 visa. Search online for the supporting documents.

I am going by memory, but do search online before finalizing. If you are sponsoring, usual things you would need to send would be copies of your (and spouses if it is spouses parents) passport, last 3-4 months of pay stubs, bank statements, copy of your petition if on visa, an affidavit of support (I-134 form) with supporting documents, your employment letter, immigration letter from bank that shows the open date, average balance for one year and total deposit for one year etc.

Be aware that some of these, like bank letter can take time. Your parents also needs to prove that they have sufficient tie ups in home country, and hey won't try to stay in US longer than the allowed time. To do this, they would need to show their bank records, a property evaluation by a ca, proof that they have home and children or close relatives there.

Doing nanny work, or any type of work is prohibited. B2 is for tourism or family visit.

Yes you may be able to extend their stay, but be aware that next time they come in, they may face a lot of questions on overstaying and it can be adding an unnecessary hassle for their future visits.

Regarding the duration, it an be up to 10 years, but that depends on the officer's view on he case. My first time, I got 3 year. My friend even got a 1 year. My cousin's father got for only 5, while mom got 10. So it is not rally a set in the stone thing.

• 4 weeks later...

I heard that it's better to mention in Invitation letter that you are inviting parents for visiting locations.Looks like this is the only better way to invite parents to USA.Looks like from above posts if there is valid reason even after 6 months parent visa can be extended.Good to know.

But did any one hear that the visa's are granted for 3-4 months span only instead of 10 years span of eligibility.

I heard that it's better to mention in Invitation letter that you are inviting parents for visiting locations.Looks like this is the only better way to invite parents to USA.Looks like from above posts if there is valid reason even after 6 months parent visa can be extended.Good to know.

But did any one hear that the visa's are granted for 3-4 months span only instead of 10 years span of eligibility.

Yes, that should be the reason in the invitation letter addressed to consulate and to your parents.

But, for some reason if the extension is denied (99% of cases) your parents will lose the validity of 10 years visa and they have to reapply again for another visitor visa. Mostly it will be denied. I have not heard of anyone receiving visa for 3 to 4 months. 

It doesn't matter for how many years they got the visa. Their stay is decided at POE whether it's 3 months or 6 months, usually they get 6 months.

Archived