Vendor not releasing payment - Please assist

vidhya reddy

Hi,

I'm on EAD(not the primary applicant) and have my own s-corp since last year. Last year I worked for a client until November 2012 . The structure is my s-corp -> vendor company - > Implementation partner.

For the month of November 2012, the vendor company , released only half of my pay. But the implementation partner confirmed me that they released entire payment to the vendor company. I used to work on corp-corp basis with vendor company and I also have approved timesheets and invoice. I have sent them atleast 30+ emails and no response to emails and phone calls. 

My questions are:

1. What is the best possible way to get my money from vendor company

2. can I complain to someone regarding this? 

Please assist

Vidhya

You have nothing to do with the vendor. You have no contract with the vendor, only the employer has a contract with the vendor.

You get paid by your employer, not by the vendor. Your employer needs to pay you, no matter what.

The employer would have to deal with the vendor company. You need to stay completely out of that.

Your ONLY responsibility is to make sure you get paid.

If you don't get paid by your employer, file a complaint with DOL on form WH4. That complaint would be against the employer ONLY.

Did you even "read"

OP has its own corp and is having payment issues with vendor.

There is no employer here

You have nothing to do with the vendor. You have no contract with the vendor, only the employer has a contract with the vendor.

You get paid by your employer, not by the vendor. Your employer needs to pay you, no matter what.

The employer would have to deal with the vendor company. You need to stay completely out of that.

Your ONLY responsibility is to make sure you get paid.

If you don't get paid by your employer, file a complaint with DOL on form WH4. That complaint would be against the employer ONLY.

Hi Omshiv,

Thanks for your reply. Can I really approach labor attorney in this case?  If so can you please let me know how to contact them. Or any kind of  info is of a great help.

I have the all the documents contract between my s corp and vendor company and all other documents like approved timesheet , invoice etc..

Thanks,

Vidhya

Hi JoeF,

Thank you for you reply. As others mentioned, I have my own S-corp and I'm working through my s-corp. I don't have any employer in this case.

I was working on corp-corp basis with the vendor company. I have all the signed contracts , approved timesheets and invoices. But still they are not releasing half of my November pay.I have followed up for almost 6 months now but of no use.

I really want to get that money back and I'm very frustrated by their unprofessional behavior . Please let me know the best possible way.

Thanks,

Vidhya

Hi,

I'm on EAD(not the primary applicant) and have my own s-corp since last year. Last year I worked for a client until November 2012 . The structure is my s-corp -> vendor company - > Implementation partner.

For the month of November 2012, the vendor company , released only half of my pay. But the implementation partner confirmed me that they released entire payment to the vendor company. I used to work on corp-corp basis with vendor company and I also have approved timesheets and invoice. I have sent them atleast 30+ emails and no response to emails and phone calls. 

My questions are:

1. What is the best possible way to get my money from vendor company

2. can I complain to someone regarding this? 

Please assist

Vidhya

I guess you need to contact some attorney.

Joef..OP said that she has her own company. That means she's her own employer..in that case she cannot file a complaint with DOL I guess. But she can definitely approach an Labor attorney and Sue the Vendor.

Oh, I overlooked that.

First, the OP has issues with it being an S-Corp, because of the requirement that all shareholders of S-Corporations have to be US citizens or Permanent Residents.

Second, there is no labor stuff here.

All the OP could do is sue the vendor in civil court.

Hi JoeF,

Thank you for you reply. As others mentioned, I have my own S-corp and I'm working through my s-corp. I don't have any employer in this case.

I was working on corp-corp basis with the vendor company. I have all the signed contracts , approved timesheets and invoices. But still they are not releasing half of my November pay.I have followed up for almost 6 months now but of no use.

I really want to get that money back and I'm very frustrated by their unprofessional behavior . Please let me know the best possible way.

Thanks,

Vidhya

If you have a company, why are you posting on a forum instead of going to your lawyer???

This is just contract law, nothing else.

You would have to sue the vendor.

And you have an issue with the company form as well.

Joef..OP said that she has her own company. That means she's her own employer..in that case she cannot file a complaint with DOL I guess. But she can definitely approach an Labor attorney and Sue the Vendor.

If a person runs his or her own company, then the labor law rules don't apply.

Labor law applies to employees, not to the company owners.

This this is contract law. There is a contract between two companies. If one company doesn't fulfill the contract, then the other company can sue them in civil court.

That's it.

This is the cost of running a business. I find it bad that the OP goes to a forum to get free help, when he should have gone to his lawyer.

I am all for helping employees who get screwed over, but somebody who runs a business should really know what he does.

If a person runs his or her own company, then the labor law rules don't apply.

Labor law applies to employees, not to the company owners.

This this is contract law. There is a contract between two companies. If one company doesn't fulfill the contract, then the other company can sue them in civil court.

Oh ok...Thanks for the info JoeF. So OP needs to approach an Attorney who handles Civil matters?

OP is a He and is from Andhra Pradesh who speaks Telegu.

Oh ok...Thanks for the info JoeF. So OP needs to approach an Attorney who handles Civil matters?

OP is a He and is from Andhra Pradesh who speaks Telegu.

He would have to approach a lawyer who handles contract matters. Normal businesses have such lawyers, because contracts between businesses are usually checked by the company lawyer before signing them.

Contracts often go back and forth a few times to clarify some clauses. This is all standard stuff between companies.

Me thinks that the OP is in this way over his head.

Nobody could have guessed that !!!!

As per JoeF, shouldn't OP's S-Corp be illegal?

I mentioned that earlier...

"First, the OP has issues with it being an S-Corp, because of the requirement that all shareholders of S-Corporations have to be US citizens or Permanent Residents.

Second, there is no labor stuff here."

yah it seems OP is absconding ever since JoeF pointed that out :)

I think the main issue here is this:

"Me thinks that the OP is in this way over his head."

Running a company is more complex than the OP expected...

There are lots of things to be considered, from company form to business insurance to having a business lawyer, and understanding contracts...

S-Corp not allowed by EAD/H1  is a concept floated by "some"  (not many)  CPAs  who apparently do not have any clue that H1/EAD are considered as "Resident Alien".  Those CPAs consistently use a term "Permanent Resident Alien"  while no such term exist anywhere in Tax Laws. 

However,  ever since I took interest in this topic  , I have contacted soem such CPA who floats this theory and many of them stood corrected.  Some even updated their website.   I now have a couple of Thank you mails from such CPA firms :)

This thread (http://forum.murthy.com/index.php?/topic/53040-h-4-visa-and-want-to-be-shareholder-in-s-corp/)  has a long discussion on S-Corp including some comments by one of Murthy Attorney AND the  law text extract.    It also has refernce to NJ Treasury Website (http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/scorp.pdf )  which clarifies  that a Green Card holder as well as Resident Alien can be a shareholder of S-Corp .  Note they make a clear differentiation between Green Card holder and Resident Alien (H1/EAD etc.)

S-Corp not allowed by EAD/H1  is a concept floated by "some"  (not many)  CPAs  who apparently do not have any clue that H1/EAD are considered as "Resident Alien".  Those CPAs consistently use a term "Permanent Resident Alien"  while no such term exist anywhere in Tax Laws. 

However,  ever since I took interest in this topic  , I have contacted soem such CPA who floats this theory and many of them stood corrected.  Some even updated their website.   I now have a couple of Thank you mails from such CPA firms :)

This thread has a long discussion on S-Corp including some comments by one of Murthy Attorney AND the  law text extract.    It also has refernce to NJ Treasury Website (http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/scorp.pdf )  which clarifies  that a Green Card holder as well as Resident Alien can be a shareholder of S-Corp .  Note they make a clear differentiation between Green Card holder and Resident Alien (H1/EAD etc.)

Oh..Thank you for the clarification chakrakar..can you pls someday explain what does your name mean?

Archived