DMV unable to verify my status(I-94)

h1_it_2010

I have entered US in H4 visa on 08/05/2011 and Got my Driver license in texas Aug 2012. Got my H1 visa and started working from Oct 2012. When I went to DMV on July 2013 to renew my driver license, the staff cannot verify my status based on I94 or my H1 papers.And she asked to me to wait till they verify my status.  FYI - I have received my SSN after 4 attempts in Austin as they were not able to verify my legal status on the earlier attempts.  I am worried how can I renew my driver license and this could cause issue when I go for Visa stamping. Can anybody help me to resolve this ? 

Thanks in advance, 

Nithya

It sounds like your record may not be up to date in the SAVE database. The state agency can complete and submit Form G-845, Document Verification Request, directly to the SAVE program to initiate the validation process. Please note that only the public benefit or license-granting agency can submit Form G-845, the individual applicant/beneficiary may not. The validation process can take 10 to 20 days to complete.

If that doesn't work, then additional escalation may be required. It may be helpful to discuss the matter with a qualified competent immigration attorney to determine what steps can be taken.

• 1 month later...

It sounds like your record may not be up to date in the SAVE database. The state agency can complete and submit Form G-845, Document Verification Request, directly to the SAVE program to initiate the validation process. Please note that only the public benefit or license-granting agency can submit Form G-845, the individual applicant/beneficiary may not. The validation process can take 10 to 20 days to complete.

If that doesn't work, then additional escalation may be required. It may be helpful to discuss the matter with a qualified competent immigration attorney to determine what steps can be taken.

Sound advice. Before I got on this forum, I shot off an email like below to the DPS, TX. Thoughts/Advise?

I am a Legally admitted Alien waiting for Adjustment of Status for a Green Card. I have a valid I-797 (Notice of Action) and am currently enrolled as a Full Time student at the University of Houston in the Undergrad Program. I recently got a communication from TXDPS that my Drivers Licence was due for renewal and I had to personally visit the nearest DPS Office to get my Drivers Licence renewed. When I showed up at the DPS Office, the official scanned my I-797 and asked for my I-512 and I-766 (both of which I have applied to be renewed) and scanned those documents also. Then the official said that I had to get my I-512 and I-766 renewed before I would be eligible to get my Drivers Licence renewed!

I submit that the Only basis for my Legal admission and stay in the US is my Adjustment of Status Receipt Notice, that is I-797 and that should be sufficient with my Foreign Passport to prove my legal status in the US. 

The purpose of I-512 is limited to allowing me admission into the US, if I choose to travel outside the US - in other words, if I do not intend to travel outside the US, I do not need to have a valid I-512!
The purpose of I-766 is limited to authorizing me to work legally in the US without any restrictions only. In other words, if I choose not to work in the US, I do not need to have a valid I-766!

As I have stated above, insisting on the above 2 documents to renew my Driving Licence is not right as they are NOT the documents that prove my Legal Status in the US!!

I would appreciate it if you could advise me on the next steps to get my Drivers Licence renewed, without insisting on I-512/I-766 documents!

Archived