H4 to F1 or F1 ?

remeymartin

I am a H1-B holder currently employed in US and I got married few weeks back, My wife had already plans to pursue her MS in US and fulfilled the admission requirements like GRE and TOFEL. I am more concerned about education loan / Tax benefits / reduced fees in US. I am confused to take her in H4 or F1 ? Which one would be better ? Experts please advise me, Thanks a lot in advance.

My advise is it's better to take her on F1 so sometimes she will get 5 years visa and also if she wants she can do the job and all..I had a personal experience , I brought my wife on F2 like same h4 and I apllied for her change of status and all.......it's too risky and have to face visa problems....so its better to bring her on F1

.If worst case if she wouldn't get visa on F1 then apply for H4.

I think this will help.

She needs to have proof of funding to get an F-1.  A US loan by a guest worker is really questionable if you cannot repay the loan when you return to your home country.

Some states grant H4 resident tuition if they meet residency requirements.  You really need to have her investigate her options with the university she plans to attend.  Private schools don't care and do not provide discounts to USCs and LPRs.  Check with a CPA on tax issues.

She needs to have proof of funding to get an F-1.  A US loan by a guest worker is really questionable if you cannot repay the loan when you return to your home country.

Some states grant H4 resident tuition if they meet residency requirements.  You really need to have her investigate her options with the university she plans to attend.  Private schools don't care and do not provide discounts to USCs and LPRs.  Check with a CPA on tax issues.

Never applied for Student loan  but I have purchased new car on loan while on H1 visa.    People have taken mortgage (including FHA mortgage)  on H1.  Don't misguide

Archived