Employer Health Insurance issue

studentneed

I had health insurance from employer and when my contract was complete I called my employer to send me COBRA option ,Instead HR said current insurance can be continued under same plan and now after more than a year when  I was hospitalized(checked insurance status before joining hospital) and charged insurance company .HR cancelled insurance without any notice and this landed me in $50,000 Hospital bills.

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Do you have written proof that you requested COBRA and their response? Are you still employed with that employer? If not, where are you employed?

Did you pay premiums? If not, how could you possibly assume that you were insured?

You need to make payment arrangements with the hospital and providers. Failing to do so will get you sued and ruin your credit rating preventing you from getting a place to live and many jobs.

Thanks for your response.

1)I have an email sent to HR requesting COBRA, I guess COBRA is requested only when you are not employee.

2)I was in a 100% employer paid health Benefit. I inquired service provider and they confirmed that I was covered.

3)50,000 is not something easily arrange-able so want to get suggestions from you guys because this is not my mistake this is something done by someone (i don't know provider or hospital etc)

when exactly was the insurance cancelled? after you joined the hospital? if so, the best option is to sue the employer for bills and other damages, though long road.

.medical records are made private, not accessible by employer for the same reason..

but the circumstances do not relieve you from your obligation to pay the bills...until ur case is resolved it is in ur best interest to get on a payment plan(and negotiate for discount)  with hosiptal so that ur credit report dont get crushed..

COBRA is available to people after they have left their job only.

So you were/are still employed by the original employer?  Just because you are not actively on a project does not terminate the employer/employee relationship unless the employer has notified the USCIS of your termination and offered you transportation home. 

If health insurance was part of the employment contract and you were employed,  it is reasonable that you have the expectation that you are covered.

Take you employment contracts and copy of the insurance book to an attorney (not immigration as this is not that type of problem)

Even with insurance, you would have copays that you would be required to pay.  Make those payments to the providers.

The issue I see is if you were still employed but not being paid. This is against the rules of the program.

If you are on H1B and your contract had ended and you did not find a new employer, you have other problems.  You have not provided a clear picture of your employment sitution.

Archived