Change of status from J-1 to O-1 at US Embassy in Toronto

rsathish

Hi:

I am a J-1 scholar and have an O-1 petition filed on my behalf by my future employer. I got my 2yr HRR waived for the J-1, but my future employer won't file a change of status for J-1 to O-1 along with the O-1 petition. So I am kinda forced to go outside of the US and apply for an O-1 visa. 

I am thinking, if the O-1 petition is approved, I'd go to the US Embassy in Toronto. 

Are there any issues with going to Toronto for this or should I consider my home country. I do have a relative in Toronto whom I could hang out with, so accommodation is not a problem. I am more concerned about the consular office asking me questions about change of status or anything related to J-1 to O-1.

If anyone has had any prior experience on J-1 to O-1 in Toronto, it would be greatly helpful if you shared. 

As is obvious, this is not for an O-1 renewal, but for a first time application for an O-1.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are on O-1 it should mean you have extraordinary talent in a field and you must have many people famous in your field ready to refer you.

My question is: Why dont you apply for a GC in EB1 quota and be done with the visas?

One of my very close relative with extraordinary talent and letters and awards to prove it.

And got GC in 45 days. My relative was on H4 visa.

BTW, I dont have the knowledge on O visas to answer your question.

Good luck!

Archived