post completion thesis pending opt

optstruggle

I am graduating in December 2013. However, I finished my course work in last December and have been working on my thesis since then. I am defending my thesis this September and will be technically done with my requirements for Graduation. I have a job offer starting from October 2013 which requires OPT card (strictly since my profile was marketed by a consultant with some experience) to begin employment. I am aware of post completion thesis pending opt which allows me to have OPT card by the time of employment. My DSO is keen on applying for CPT instead of post completion OPT but I am unable to explain her the circumstances that I am bound to. This offer means a lot to me since I have pending loans and looking at the recession in job market, I cannot afford to lose this opportunity. 

My DSO wasn't convinced to apply for post completion opt since the last class day which in my case for thesis is December  13, 2013. In spite of pointing out several times that it is not a course and I can apply for thesis pending opt beforehand she is not ready to approve it. 

I know what I am asking for is not against any law, then why should anyone stop me from getting my rights. Kindly share your thoughts on my situation and let me know if there is anyway out.

• 2 weeks later...

in mot legitimate schools, the DSO suggests CPT. my DSO suggested the same. although, OPT is ok with thesis-pending, DSO say better to save it for after graduation.

you can ask your DSO if she/he will authorize you for full-time CPT. my school allows full-time CPT in final semester/only thesis pending.

in mot legitimate schools, the DSO suggests CPT. my DSO suggested the same. although, OPT is ok with thesis-pending, DSO say better to save it for after graduation.

Actually, CPT would be really wrong. No good DSO would suggest that. CPT would have to be a required part of the curriculum, which in this case is definitely is NOT.

Pre-completion OPT is what good DSOs would suggest.

Archived