Double Masters Degree,H1 process

Shivaramakrishnan

Hello,

I have a first masters degree in Electrical Engineering.I worked for 2 and a half years and have used up all my OPT,most of my Stem (4 months were left).Now I am pursuing my PhD from past semester.I didn't find a research adviser in my field of expertise.So,I am planning to graduate with a second Masters degree in Computer Science (Cyber Sec).My previous employee is ready to take me back.I want to know how I can transfer to H1 from F1?Should I apply for CPT and start working on a CPT as intern and then ask my employer to file H1 next April,get it processed.If approved,then, graduate in December and start using my H1 from the month of Jan instead of October.Is this legal?Can it be done?

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Hello,

I have a first masters degree in Electrical Engineering.I worked for 2 and a half years and have used up all my OPT,most of my Stem (4 months were left).Now I am pursuing my PhD from past semester.I didn't find a research adviser in my field of expertise.So,I am planning to graduate with a second Masters degree in Computer Science (Cyber Sec).My previous employee is ready to take me back.I want to know how I can transfer to H1 from F1?Should I apply for CPT and start working on a CPT as intern and then ask my employer to file H1 next April,get it processed.If approved,then, graduate in December and start using my H1 from the month of Jan instead of October.Is this legal?Can it be done?

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

If you are eligible for OPT then apply for OPT and then your employer can file for your H1. If not then you have to find a job before you get graduated and start working after the graduation.

CPT won't help you in this case.

If you are eligible for OPT then apply for OPT and then your employer can file for your H1. If not then you have to find a job before you get graduated and start working after the graduation.

The OP already used OPT. He can't get another OPT for the same degree level.

Archived